Combi vs systems boiler for the 6th floor flat

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi guys! We recently bought a place (top 6th floor flat) with systems boiler in place, cold and hot water tanks in the cupboard and a pump.
The pump and the boiler turned out to be broken so we asked our plumber whether we should switch to combi instead of replacing the systems one. He said that the water pressure was too low for the combi, that’s why we are stuck with tanks and systems boiler.
We called in another plumber for a second opinion and he was all for installing combi – he didn’t actually measure the mains water flow/pressure but checked the taps and said it would be more than enough and that he personally would not think twice about installing the combi.
I am inclined to trust the second guy more but I don’t know whether it’s because he is saying what I want to hear.
I would really appreciate any advice on this.

Sponsored Links
The best thing to do would be to ask the installers back and get them to measure your dynamic pressure and flow.

Then post back they're findings

Couldn't get any plumber to come round this week so just measured the water flow rate with a bucket and it's around 16l/min in the kitchen.

That means very little!

You need the dynamic flow rate!

Tony

Sponsored Links
Unless of course you live in a 8 bed 4 bathroom "flat" and require a worcester 42cdi with a flow rate of 17ltrs/min, then contrary to the previous post, fitting a combi should be totally fine.

Ps. Good luck flueing it at that height lol

Unless of course you live in a 8 bed 4 bathroom "flat" and require a worcester 42cdi with a flow rate of 17ltrs/min, then contrary to the previous post, fitting a combi should be totally fine.

Ps. Good luck flueing it at that height lol
Thanks for your reply, it's a 3-bed flat, 2 bathrooms but only 2 of us so hopefully will be alright.
P.s. - Actually, the flue is accessible via the balcony :LOL:

Totally confused now :-/ Had another plumber round today who said that he would keep the whole system and just replace the systems boiler.
He also said, combis are for 1 bathroom normally and we have ensuite and the main bathroom, 3 bedrooms, 8 radiators - apparently, systems would cope better with all this..

FWIW.....

There are a few things you need to consider....

I had the same issue a few years back (albeit not a flat)

Assuming you have the option, then cost may be an issue but you also need to consider space (i.e. do you need the extra space), usage (albeit good combis now seem to have alleviated that issue) and, of course, how quickly you can get an engineer out in the winter when the combi breaks down and you have no backup...

Just my view FWIW.

:D

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back