Any short term fix for this problem...

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

We recently moved home - into a property that has a 'dated' hw/ch system. We have an issue with what i think is a 2port honeywell valve - where the central heating is not firing the condensing boiler.

Over the last couple of days the valve has been making a buzzing noise and simply not turning heating on. The hot water still works - and i read online that if i hook the manual lever on both to on position then this will push the water through the radiators - but doesn't seem to work for us.

The pipe at each side of the valve gets hot but for some reason no heat goes through the system :s

The tanks/ condensing boiler are being replaced with a combi next week so not looking to buy anything to fix it - but was wondering if anyone knew of a temporary fix we could try to get some heat in the meantime

There is no thermosat just a programmer on the wall

Thanks in advance

Sponsored Links
Do you mean the thermostat valves (ie the ones with numbers) then yes we've moved these all to max,

The only one i dont know thats on or off is the bathroom heater as there are no markings on this - could one valve prevent the whole system from heating? (Like plumbed in series , or shouldnt this matter?)

Apologies for my lack of technical lingo - im only google educated when it comes to heating lol

Ignore that point - theres 2 pipes going into each radiator so plumbed in parallel

Sponsored Links
Moving the heating valve into manual by-pass might not bring on the boiler depending on make of valve, try manually opening the heating valve and then switching the HW on and see if the rads get hot, they will go cold again once the HW is satisfied though

There are 2 honeywell valves - and its a Worcester condensing boiler - how do i manually open the valve? - i look the cover off the box but there was no place for a spanner to go - will upload a photo

This is in the cupboard - the one on the left was the one that was buzzing

Attachments

• IMG_3107.JPG
    IMG_3107.JPG
    117.9 KB · Views: 157
there is a lever on each valve, do not take the cover off, the leavers are visable in your pics, you just push them and lock them into position, this will allow flow to your CH but will not bring the boiler on, you will have to select water too in order for the boiler to fire

there is a lever on each valve, do not take the cover off, the leavers are visable in your pics, you just push them and lock them into position, this will allow flow to your CH but will not bring the boiler on, you will have to select water too in order for the boiler to fire

My apologies for being stupid what valves in the pic? - i move the levers on the metal valves before and hooked them both open but even with hw on no heat came through radiators

moving the CH valve and hooking it is what I mean, but this will only open the valve it will not signal the boiler and pump to run, you need a demand for hw in order for the boiler and pump to run, if the hw is satisfied it will not run

Always seems such a pity to see a cylinder being replaced with a combi.

I hope you understand the limitations of a combi and that the appropriate measurements have been made on your mains supply.

Tony

Always seems such a pity to see a cylinder being replaced with a combi.

I hope you understand the limitations of a combi and that the appropriate measurements have been made on your mains supply.

Tony

Yeah our heating engineer is upgrading the supply as at somepoint someone has reduced the 3/4 supply to 1/2 pipe, so he needs to go back to where the 3/4 is an t off for the new boiler. As we have gas hob and fire so there would be too much adding a combi onto it.

Tbh we've only had the property for a month and we were quite happy with this type of heating - but the cold water tank has a split and slow leak, and the system is dated - so we just wanted to put a combi in instead. We had a combi in our previous flat and loved it - so we're getting the same here (Worcester 28compact with wireless thermostat).

Ian in did try this but to no avail - whether as tou say the water is up to heat already and therfore not heating radiators - or possibly something else. Thanks for your suggestion though - luckily its not too cold here and we only have a week until the new system should be up and running :)

Do you mean the thermostat valves (ie the ones with numbers) then yes we've moved these all to max,
Did you check the valves on the other side of the radiators are also open (lockshield valves)? If there is hot water flowing through the pipes on both sides of the 2 port valves, the square metal box topped valves in your pic, then the valves are open and working but if there's no heat at the rads then first thing I'd be checking is that their valves are open.

Yeah our heating engineer is upgrading the supply as at some point someone has reduced the 3/4 supply to 1/2 pipe, so he needs to go back to where the 3/4 is an t off for the new boiler. As we have gas hob and fire so there would be too much adding a combi onto it.

I think you are referring to the gas supply.

It is the mains water supply that I hope has been tested.

A combi boiler depends on the mains water supply to provide adequate dynamic pressure and flow to work properly.

Tony

I think you are referring to the gas supply.

It is the mains water supply that I hope has been tested.

A combi boiler depends on the mains water supply to provide adequate dynamic pressure and flow to work properly.

Tony

Yeah was referring to the gas pipes - as for the mains water - we do have good pressure in the property. The chap fitting it has over 25years experience and installed one in our previous property- so I trust he has checked everything is suitable,

Rab, regarding the valves on the radiators - we havent touched these since the ch was working at the weekend - so id presume they are still open - the only ones we have fiddled with are the thermostatic ones

Thanks

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back