Any SLR Camera buffs out there?

Thanks for all that everyone..much appreciated

Massive price difference between the d40/d40x...is the only difference the amount of pixels?

Or is the D40X a better camera anyway?

Sponsored Links
Thanks for all that everyone..much appreciated

Massive price difference between the d40/d40x...is the only difference the amount of pixels?

Or is the D40X a better camera anyway?
Depends on what makes a better camera for you, more pixels means higher resolution for me that would be the key thing, different features may be what sways you? it's very subjective.

Pixels aren't everything. You need lots of the little monkeys if you're shooting wide angle, landscapes, streetscenes - anything with lots of detail to squeeze in at distance - or if you need to print really large format.
I reckon 7MP is enough for up to A1 prints from what I've done off the plotter, or for general portrait, interior shots. Won't win any prizes but it does rather depend what you're doing.
You'll need a bigger card for more pizels too!

As id put quality of the picture paramount to all other features of a camera then resolution would be one of the options high on my list but as said each person have their own opinions as to what is important in what they buy

Sponsored Links
I'd agree, more pixels can be a nuisance, it depends what you're going to be doing with the photos if you're printing 6x4s or 7x5s then loads of pixels is overkill. It'll just fill up your harddrive quicker!

The D40x is better than the 40...there are detail differences.

e.g. IIRC the "x" can take more frames per second than the 40...

I read somewhere an analsis of pixels on digital cameras, arguing that the numbers were being driven higher and higher as a marketing ploy (and becaus the technology is so cheap ithe cost to the manufacturer is insignificant).

Compared to a fine-grain film in a 35mm camera, even cheap digitals have more. Expensive ones have more than a medium format like a Mamiya or Lubitel, and more than the lens can resolve. So what are these extra pixels used for? We aren't all printing posters.

There are redundant pixels in the ccd as only those covered by the sweet spot are useful, but as more and more pixels can be crammed on within this spot with advances in technology then the nearer we can get to achieving the faithful reproduction, some may not be bothered about getting maximum detail out of their pics, professionals and those that dabble in digital manipulation may,as said before its a subjective thing.

I guess if one was cropping small parts of larger images then enlarging the croppings, the extra pixels will be useful.
I find my 5.2 MP Digicam is fine, easy to carry, 2.5 hrs battery recharge life with all systems active... 100 hi-res images on 128 MB XD card - still a pain in the bum to sort through on the camera.. Yet again, big ain't always best... We generally pay for a whole lot more than we need... Boy's toys !
:D

Interesting point that actually...the most we will blow a pic up is A4 (grandad daughter on the way) is 6 mp pushing our luck a bit

you all seem to be forgetting something.

have as may pixels you like blow it up to what size you like who cares?

the PRINTER does thats what

Interesting point that actually...the most we will blow a pic up is A4 (grandad daughter on the way) is 6 mp pushing our luck a bit

See enlargement sizes here.
http://www.cambridgeincolour.com/tutorials/digital-camera-pixel.htm

Here is a good web site ...
Compare my 'digicam' with the Nikon Click here

compare images :-

My cam, Olympus C-5050 digicam 5 MP (2003) ..
Olympus C-5050Z Review Samples (16 of 17), 21 mm, ISO 64, 1/100 sec, F2.6, +0.0 EV
http://dpreview-img.fotki.com/gallery/olympusc5050z_samples1/030109-1342-18.jpg

Now see
Nikon D40X Review Samples (19 of 32), 180 mm equiv, ISO 100, 1/100 sec, F4.8, +0.0 EV, 55-200 mm DX VR
http://dpreview-img.fotki.com/gallery/nikond40x_samples/dsc_0309.jpg

Notice size difference ... Also notice the digicam picture was taken with it's lens as bought, but the Nikon picture utilised a 55-200 mm lens, not part of the usual package - The lens weighs 340gms !! costs RRP £249 !! (£150'ish)
Could buy body only, (my route) then buy a suitable lens separately, expect total weight near to 1Kg -- The digicam near 480 gms

Just like washing machines having umpteen extra adjustments on board, we generally need very few ... That is why my Olympus OM1 SLR remains in perfect working order after 27 years !! Just one tiny long lasting battery for the light metering system. That SLR allows the adjustments necessary to produce technicaly good shots - artist it isn't... therefore matches its owner
:D :D

Brilliant...thanks for that and everyone else too.

you all seem to be forgetting something.

have as may pixels you like blow it up to what size you like who cares?

the PRINTER does thats what
Only if you are going to print them ;)

Who would have thought a site devoted to rambling about diy would give birth to such a detailed and broadly represented debate on the merits of such a diverse range of photographic equipment ?!....... Show this to everyone who thinks builders are thick and diy-ers are the dullest people on earth!!
Anyone wanna talk renaissance art?!!

Sponsored Links
Back