any suggestions for this section of front drive

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

would appreciate some general idea and any advise on particular plants for this particular area in drive. we are in london so it clay material. the drive is north facing. i would prefer something low maintenance, not too high (definately no climbers, sorry!) and hopefully some year round interest....would appreciate some pointers.....i have been thinking about sorting soemthing out for almost a year but cant make my mind up...thought of gravelling with pots, artificial turf, medium size shrub etc but not sure really

20150519_182813.jpg

20150519_182821.jpg

ta

Sponsored Links
Would grasses or thistles do there? I mean ornamental ones not weedy ones. Not too tall and quite dramatic. RHS and jacksonsnurseries have got quite good searches

Would grasses or thistles do there? I mean ornamental ones not weedy ones. Not too tall and quite dramatic. RHS and jacksonsnurseries have got quite good searches

thanks. i will have a look. not sure how much maintenance is involved in terms of cutting back and keeping in shape etc..

Just bumping this to see if there are any more suggestions from you knowledgeable people....

Sponsored Links
You could put all sorts of things in there. OK it is N facing but is is not totally shaded or subterrainian.

First pull out the weeds and add a generous layer of compost. E.g. 2 or 3 sacks.

How about:

At the back, plant a witch hazel. This will give some height and will look great in the winter. Or something that keeps nice berries into the winter, such as cotoneaster.

Then in the middle, plant some medium shrubs such as hardy fuchsia or small roses or euonymous fortuneii.

At the front, edge with smaller perennials such as brunnera, pulmonaria, hellebore, ferns, hostas.

Pop a few bulbs in amongst everything e.g. dafs, snowdrops, tulips.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back