Any tips on how to repair this big hole in plaster?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all
I'm looking to repair a fairly big hole in my plaster (about 8- 10 inches wide). Iv done repairs before but not in something this big so I'm just wondering if there's any particular products that would be good for this?
The area is behind a bedroom door so it doesn't need to be perfect however I am trying to sell the house so it has to be reasonably inconspicuous.

Thanks
20151106_205410.jpg

Sponsored Links
The plastering looks a mess so I would get some polyfilla on it and match it with the original plaster that's on....

Use a straight edge to get it level, I'm just filling a similar hole. I always use a straight edge, then slightly over fill & then rub down with the sand paper etc. on the straight edge after a couple of coats of paint you wont see it. On an area like that I would paint a mist coat first.

Sponsored Links
Sorry if these are stupid questions but.....
A straight edge, is that the square flat trowel?
What is a mist coat?

Thanks for all the replies. I have powder plaster that iv used before, I was considering using that polyfilla pre mixed stuff tho if it would do a better finish

A straight edge: just a flat piece of wood/metal that you can use to level off with.
Mist coat, do a search, but its diluted emulsion paint, paint/water 50/50 ish.
I prefer powder polyfiller easier to rub down.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back