Any way to tell if these ceiling tiles are Asbestos?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi there,

looking to put an offer in on a Victorian property that requires a full refurb. The whole upstairs ceiling is covered in these tiles, there’s no way to do an asbestos test until a survey but any way to tell if these are going to be problematic? The look like polystyrene up close but I’m guessing from the style they were fitted quite a while ago- possibly in the 70s(?)
Also what would be a rough figure for a full rewire of a 3 bed house- electrics haven’t been touched for years so new wiring, sockets and fuse box.
Many thanks in advance

Attachments

• 70616F92-14C7-4A47-9648-DACFBE52DEF6.jpeg
    70616F92-14C7-4A47-9648-DACFBE52DEF6.jpeg
    447.6 KB · Views: 171
  • EA2AFFE4-1756-4C88-85E8-6C1C98E57F58.jpeg
    EA2AFFE4-1756-4C88-85E8-6C1C98E57F58.jpeg
    424.9 KB · Views: 152
  • 4B85CBFF-FD7C-42F3-8F11-BC9BF45E8380.jpeg
    4B85CBFF-FD7C-42F3-8F11-BC9BF45E8380.jpeg
    485.2 KB · Views: 468
Sponsored Links
Probably polystyrene
Heat a metal tool like a screwdriver/ pallet knife over a gas ring and push it into a tile.
If it melts, it’s polystyrene - don’t breathe in any fumes.

I have never heard of polystyrene / asbestos mix tiles.
If in doubt send away a sample for testing.

if they are polystyrene you can strip them off and leave the adhesive as a lump on the ceiling, a hot air stripper and scraper will get it off cleanly. The ceiling might be damaged - hence the tiles

Yeah. Put a match to it but not inside
Asbestos don't burn however polystyrene will turn to liquid and vapour is toxic so consider this.
99% sure that's polystyrene though.
Will float in water and feel warm to the touch if polystyrene.
Think everyone knows what polystyrene is so ask someone if you don't

Sponsored Links
I would say polystyrene. My parents used them a lot.

Several rooms here had polystyrene tiles which were stuck on with wallpaper paste.
If they fell very warm if you press your hand against them and they easily dent under knuckle pressure then more than likely poly. Another way to test, if you put them in contact with cellulose thinners or nail varnish they dissolve .

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back