Anyone a Data Cabling Engineer or know one?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello,
Looked into the training course but not sure about the physical aspect of the job. does it entail climbing ladders, getting PPE kit on and drilling big holes through walls lugging big heavy rolls of cable? not sure if it would be similar to electricians.. I've asked the training provider but they paint a rosey picture (obviously)

Sponsored Links
Ultimately before you can terminate a cable (whether power or data) and test it meets specs it's got to be installed in the building. Maybe on very big jobs you might have engineers to do the design and termination with labourers to do the "building bashing" but i'd think on most jobs you'd probablly have to do it all.

The rolls of cable will likely not be as big and heavy as some used in mains work but you are likely to have to deal with more of them.

To a large extent the type of work will depend on the location you're working in. If you were installing in fairly small business premises, then you would probably be expected to do it all - drilling, trunking, ladders etc etc. But in the large installations, mainly because of H&S requirements, a lot of the donkey work would be done by contractors.

Too many variables to give a general answer but I would say be prepared for it all.

Used to do this in the early days when they had the multi-pin ports (forgotten their name!) only a 4 core cable, though.

We did the whole lot. Rolls of 305m cable, trunking, drill bits, ladders, lifting off the ceiling tiles etcetera!

All good fun getting the bleeders back, especially trying not to get black paw prints all over them....

Sponsored Links
On the big building site type jobs, normally the containment (trunking, conduit, tray and basket) will be installed by the site electricians, then the data people are responsible for pulling in, securing and terminating their cables. This will require working at heights, but steps and ladders are not allowed, so you may need your pasma and or ipaf tickets to use tower scaff and mewps. Everyone has to wear PPE regardless of what you're doing on these jobs!

For smaller installations, I'd imagine everything would be up to you. I'm not sure it's quite the rosy picture your training provider paints.

Hello,
Looked into the training course but not sure about the physical aspect of the job. does it entail climbing ladders, getting PPE kit on and drilling big holes through walls lugging big heavy rolls of cable? not sure if it would be similar to electricians.. I've asked the training provider but they paint a rosey picture (obviously)
Why don't you get yourself a nice cosy little lightweight job so you don't chip yer nail varnish.

Electrician or plumber springs to mind...... :idea:

:mrgreen:

Eeee the cheek Noseall.. pedacures ain't cheap ya know! :confused: lol
thought about plumbing but data and lecky don't gush out all over the place if you haven't done the job proper rofl :LOL:

thanks for the info everyone.. If anyone knows about this work, would it involve having to work away from home weeks at a time?

Quite possibly but it would depend entirely on who you end up working for. If you go contracting then expect to work all over the place, but if you're fortunate enough to find a local company with plenty of work then all well and good.

There is no simple answer to your question. You could try finding some local data cabling companies (if there are any near you) and see what the demand is like. On here we can only speculate.

Sponsored Links
Back