Anyone decipher this

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Off my plans for the conversion I am buying...

'Soil stack into 100mm3 rest bend. Vent pipe reduced to 50mm3 after last horizontal connection onto 100mm3 internal soil stack. Vent pipe taken up to tile outlet. External SVP to terminate with wire cage 900mm above any opening light'

This is for an internal stack and I think I understand the first and last bits but not the middle. Does the first sentence simply say that right at the bottom of the stack, where it will exit to the drain it needs a reinforced bend to take the weight of the pipe above??

The last sentence is just referring to capping the pipe as it goes out through the roof??

Is the middle bit saying that above the last connection from the toilet or other waste the pipe diameter can be reduced to 50mm3 and this is the size of pipe that gets vented through the roof??

Regards

D

Sponsored Links
The rest bend is a slow bend which prevents blockages. Your pl merchants will show you.

You need a wire cage on top of your pipe to prevent birds entering.

As for the reducing to 50 mm pipe....... not heard of that one.

BCO will need to approve your drainage work :D

dunny said:
Does the first sentence simply say that right at the bottom of the stack, where it will exit to the drain it needs a reinforced bend to take the weight of the pipe above??
Yes - see also Bahco's comment.

The last sentence is just referring to capping the pipe as it goes out through the roof?
No - not capping, but terminating. See also Bahco's comment.

Is the middle bit saying that above the last connection from the toilet or other waste the pipe diameter can be reduced to 50mm3 and this is the size of pipe that gets vented through the roof?
Yes, but the "3" seems spurious - it should just be "50mm".

50mm is acceptable in some circumstances - you or your architect should check with the BCO that he/she will accept it before you go ahead and do it.

Softus said:
Yes, but the "3" seems spurious - it should just be "50mm".

50mm is acceptable in some circumstances - you or your architect should check with the BCO that he/she will accept it before you go ahead and do it.

Thats whats on the plan that has been passed but it doesnt show a drawing - I dont see the point really. Any idea where I can see a picture of the set up - tried searching without success.

Sponsored Links
dunny said:
Thats whats on the plan that has been passed but it doesnt show a drawing - I dont see the point really.
Er, sorry - you don't see the point of what?

Any idea where I can see a picture of the set up - tried searching without success.
Just imagine a normal set up, and then substitute the section of 110mm pipe higher than the WC with 50mm pipe.

Softus said:
dunny said:
Thats whats on the plan that has been passed but it doesnt show a drawing - I dont see the point really.
Er, sorry - you don't see the point of what?

Of reducing to 50mm from 100mm - still got to disturb the roof in both cases...

Any idea where I can see a picture of the set up - tried searching without success.
Just imagine a normal set up, and then substitute the section of 110mm pipe higher than the WC with 50mm pipe.[/quote]

Right - just a straight reducer then??

dunny said:
still got to disturb the roof in both cases...
Quite true, but the smaller pipe is less obtrusive in its path from soil pipe to roof. And cheaper. And lighter...

Just imagine a normal set up, and then substitute the section of 110mm pipe higher than the WC with 50mm pipe.
Right - just a straight reducer then??
Well, there are many ways to skin this particular cat, but you could connect the 50mm straight into a horizontal run of the 110mm pipe, viz:

bossxm6.jpg

Doesnt have any stacks at all but will need 3 - they wont allow them externally as its a barn and they dont want to change the appearance. I would prefer durgo but the plan says 50 mm through the roof or up to ridge vent.

D

If the stacks are connected together you need at least one of them to vent to the outside, a dirgo valve only allows air admittance, not venting of smells etc. If the stacks are not connected they all need terminating to the outside.

Its possible to connect 2 of them as they are fairly close but to be honest I think its more trouble than its worth.

If they have to go through the roof then so be it!!

D

Isn't a rest bend called that because it has a "rest" on it so it will stand up on the bottom of the trench!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back