Anyone helpus with Heating prob! why so close to XMAS!!!!!

have you tried bleeding the highest radiator yet?

and tell us about the drain-cock and hosepipe

Then I can tell you if you have that problem, and if you can address it yourself.

Sponsored Links
It sounds like a blocked feed pipe.

As a temporary solution you could put about 4 litres of water into the vent pipe and that should get it going over christmas.

Either use rubber tubing pushed round the bend or cut off the pipe on the vertical section ABOVE the water level in the cistern and then rejoin it with a compression coupler.

Tony

Easy enough to do if you're practical

First you drain down the tank and everything above that pot.

Cut the pipe 50mm from the pot and again 300mm towards the ceiling.

Fit an Lockshield valve on the top bit and use a compression socket (Conex 301) on the lower bit with a new bit of pipe in the middle.

You should visually see any blockage, and the pot itself may also be blocked.

have you tried bleeding the highest radiator yet?

and tell us about the drain-cock and hosepipe

Then I can tell you if you have that problem, and if you can address it yourself.

I dont have a rad key to bleed the top rad John..will try and get one.
I am still stuffed as to how its just all shut down.
I remmber that the heating stopped in my old house with a similar system and I just manually turned the three way valve to water or heating.
I am not sure where the drain cock is as well :cry:

Sponsored Links
Try gently(ish) tapping air separator (the bit with the 3 pipes entering it above the pump) this might dislodge some crud. Depending how bad its clogged up the stuff could go through the pump possibly causing problem. see posts about adding system cleaner when you get it unblocked.

we think that probably you have a sediment blockage in the feed pipe. this is extremely common. This has allowed the water level to drop so that the pump cannot circulate it round the boiler.

If you try to bleed the highest radiator and no water squirts out, that demonstrates that you have no water pressure from the small tank in the loft, so it is a test to see. You have already said that the F&E tank is full so this shows the supply is blocked.

I was going to suggest that you put a hosepipe on the drain cock at the bottom and fill it from there until water rises up the vent pipe into your F&E tank.

But Tony's (Agile's) methods will work too.

That will see you through Christmas and give you time to find a plumber or attack it yourself. Do you like plumbing?

I would have liked to add a cleaning chemical like Sentinel X400 while refilling, as it will break up any lumps of sediment. It may not clear a complete blockage though. It will do no good to put it in the F&E since nothing is flowing down from there at the moment.

Keep looking for that drain cock because you will need it soon.

Drain cock is normally near ground floor radiator, or below ground floor radiator, sometime on pipework leading to radiator on ground floor.

My described method is simple and fool proof for a DIYer.

Putting mains into a drain cock will do at least one or more of the following:-

blow the hose off the shaft
force considerable flow out from around the operating screw
force closed the jumper
flood the loft

Probably other problems but I have been too busy to go shopping for a few weeks and short of several essential supplies ( in bottles ) so may have forgotten some others.

Tony

AT LEAST I'VE GOT A RAD KEY. do I need to bleed to geT more feedback ? or is it that Im female !

Its after midnight Angie! Women should be in bed by now with their georgette fleece nighties and hot water bottle!

Only manly plumbers have to be up working late and as they have working heating systems they dont need pyjamas or hot water bottles in bed.

Tony

Im surprised :eek: some women dispensed with georgette+wincyette+brushed nylon some years ago !!!! which leads me to believe your an old fashioned type of guy. But I have to say thanks for responding at all, its taken my mind off the cold. Naughty boy you should be in bed by now ! ready to help all those damsels in distress tomorrow. ;)

It sounds like a blocked feed pipe.

As a temporary solution you could put about 4 litres of water into the vent pipe and that should get it going over christmas.

Either use rubber tubing pushed round the bend or cut off the pipe on the vertical section ABOVE the water level in the cistern and then rejoin it with a compression coupler.

Tony

Hi tony is the vent pipe the one I have been trying to bleed in the airing cupboard?

(In most cases) when you have a Feed & Expansion tank in the loft, it will have a pipe in the side, feeding a ball-valve with the mains supply; a pipe near the bottom, taking the feed water down to the system near the pump; and a larger pipe bent over the top, which vents the system in the event of boiling or bubbling which can't escape up the Feed.

There is a good picture on
//www.diynot.com/forums/viewtopic.php?p=771846#771846
although your F&E might not have a fish in it

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back