Anyone know what these boxes are?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
What are the 2 silver metal boxes attached to the pipes at the front/bottom of the photo. I'm guessing thermostats.

Basically, when I switch on the hot water, there is a loud clicking/buzzing sound coming from one of them. Should I get them replaced? The hot water and heating still works.

Sponsored Links
Thanks Dan/Dave. So not worth getting someone to replace or upgrade anything?

Sponsored Links
Probably not.

Depends how much the buzzing and ticking annoy you. Eventually whatever one is doing it will conk out. Not a major job to change.

S-plan? Auto bypass? That sounds important. Time to get someone in then I guess...

they appear to be 2-port valves, which have an electric motor in the head to open and shut them. If one of yours is noisy then the gearing, or perhaps the switch, is worn out and the valve may not be working correctly. It will probably get worse rather than better. If it is just the motorised head it can be swapped without draining down, but the internal ball also wears out after 20 years or so.

You have an Unvented Cylinder which runs at relatively high pressure. It is an excellent system and is fitted with various safety devices. You should have it inspected and serviced about once a year by a person who has the Unvented qualification (G3 ticket). It is fairly common but you cannot assume that all plumbers and heating engineers are qualified, so ask. You can probably have it done in the same visit as your annual boiler service.

further info
http://www.screwfix.com/c/heating-plumbing/motorised-valves/cat831028
https://www.tradeskills4u.co.uk/courses/unvented-courses

BTW those copper pipes ought to be insulated, you can do that yourself with Climaflex or similar at low cost. Use the thick "water regs" lagging if it will fit.

The wiring is rather untidy.

Thanks John, that's really helpful. Much appreciated.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back