Anyone know what this is?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have damp comming in. My concern is that there is a kind of white fur/mould appearing in the paint blisters, would anyone know what this might be and is it harmful?

Attachments

• 100_3848.jpg
    100_3848.jpg
    80.6 KB · Views: 124
  • 100_3849.jpg
    100_3849.jpg
    124.3 KB · Views: 147
  • 100_3851.jpg
    100_3851.jpg
    106.3 KB · Views: 127
  • 100_3852.jpg
    100_3852.jpg
    163.1 KB · Views: 146
Sponsored Links
It's efflorescence - salts in the wall being brought to the surface

Not harmful (I wouldn't lick it though!) - brush it off, don't use anything damp (sponge,cloth etc.) or it will partially dissolve and go back into the brickwork.

You need to find where the damp is getting into the wall and eliminate the cause.

We had this problem 50 years ago in our council house. Council called in the experts, a private company, and they told me what newboy has said, that to stop efflorescence, they must first find the water source because it is water borne. They did 3 things:
1 They renewed the DPC.
2 They filled the wall cavity with foam.
3 They sprayed the wall with some sort of colourless sealant.

Although this seemed to cure the problem, the question remained as to why it started in the first place because the house wasn't a new build. The cause turned out to be an underground stream had been blocked somehow further down its course.

Sponsored Links
Thanks for the replys i thought i had stopped it i have only just bought the house the decking was above the damp course. I have removed it but still damp. The double glazing was only fitted last year that is my next target. Thanks again.

If you've only just removed the decking then it will take a few months (at least) for the saturated masonry to dry out

Sponsored Links
Back