Anyone recognise these blocks

Poe

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Dug a load of these blocks up and wondered what they might have been used for.
They say Rufford, Stourbridge on their face.
Looked online and I think the company went out of business in the mid 1930s.
IMG_20220621_115108.jpg

I thought maybe Foundation (spreader?) Blocks.

Poe.

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
I thought something like that but they're really not very heavy and none have any burn or soot marks.

There is still more to come up yet.

Poe

I think Nige is right - they look like refractory linings for fireplace recesses. Being thinner than conventional fire bricks, they didn't take up as much space.

Sponsored Links
I thought something like that but they're really not very heavy and none have any burn or soot marks.

There is still more to come up yet.

Poe
That's because they are new. Googgle led me to the factory - producing reflac......what tony said. Back in the day. ;)

Thanks guys,
Nige f, that's kind of what I couldn't work out the fact that they aren't marked up by use like mortar or soot.

Question now is why have I got a load of 80 year old plus unused fire linings in my garden!

Cheers Po.

They might be protective tiles that would have been laid over a High Voltage cable ( HV > 11,000 volts ) to prevent shovels or other tools damaging the cable.

I hope not bernardgreen,
Don't think my diggers going to like sticking it's teeth into one of those!

I can't even give them away to reclamation yards here so in the skip they go.

Cheers,

Po.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back