Anyone thinking of moving to France

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We have just been on a property hunt in France for the second time and wonder how many have taken the plunge, we rented a gite for a few days which really helped as the owners gave us lots of info, property is a hell of a lot cheaper.

Sponsored Links
I have heard that though the prices are cheaper, the bureaucracy is greater and more difficult to overcome. From someone who has moved over there, sadly, I have heard, do not trust an Englishman trying to help as, if they know enough they are out to con you.
Good luck in that.

Hi Lee

I bought a house last year in brittany .You are quite right the house prices are a fraction of the cost .

remmber though when you buy a house you have to pay notaire fees and estate agent fees , like estate agent fees when you sell in the uk.

These are much higher ! you should check these out.

There are also many different tarrifs for your electric?
mind blowing?

The council tax? is about £200 per year cheap as chips.

Building regs are the best have a chat with the mayor no fees and away you go.

but the best part of france i think is the culture as britain has become the dumping ground of europe

will look into the leccy, we sayed in a gite for a few nights and the owner (english) mentioned about builing regs and such, stayed more south of Brittany, in Deux Sevres, very scenic, nice countryside, seems a bit remote tho, everywhere is 30 mins to an hour, the supermarkets look good quality and resonable, is the everyday things reasonable, like electric and gas, water etc?

if anyones interested we went to
www.chezshells.com
decent place for house hunting

Sponsored Links
A great book that tells you everthing you can possibly want to know.

Living & Working in France, by Survival books 12.95 + p&p

Phone 01937 843523

Tony6 said:
but the best part of france i think is the culture as britain has become the dumping ground of europe

Oooooh, that kind of comment does wind me up :LOL:

Every country has good parts and bad parts. To be honest with you I find most of France looks rather grim due to the amount of concrete they used post-war. And just as we have problem areas, so do they. There is an awful lot more guncrime in Paris than in London... in fact probably more than there is in Mosside.

The reason many people enjoy French culture is not that it is better or worse than English culture, it is because it is different. The same applies to food, wine, any other facet. I have had some wonderful meals in France, and I have also had my share of c**p meals in France.

There is only one problem with living in France that every body seems to have forgotten and is probably the most important reason for not living there........................................the french ;)

Jasy, hmm, a good example why i never chose the USA

Lee UK said:
Jasy, hmm, a good example why i never chose the USA

Lol, while in Amsterdam, sampling the local culture :eek: , an American lady asked me if I was from London, or just England. :rolleyes:

Adam w

It was not meant to wind you up as im not totally in love with france myself.

I too have had bad meals in france .But the main difference wheather you like it or not is that this country has gone to the dogs.

To give you of an example of the difference i was in france last week working on my house when the drains blocked .***k i thought no drain rods .So i went off in the van to buy some ,could not find them in any diy shops.Any way i found a local plumbing company on my tavels about 5 miles from my house bearing in mind they dont know me from adam? they gave me the drain rods to use free of charge ,no address check and no money wanted. Just happy to help me out of my problem.

Tell me where does that happen in the uk.

you would need a credit check, proof of identity, and deposit

Tony.

Most people seem to have there big mac for sunday dinner nowdays

guess i must be an old fart at 35 still eating roast lamb?

Tony6 said:
Most people seem to have there big mac for sunday dinner nowdays

guess i must be an old fart at 35 still eating roast lamb?
Not at all! Our family BIG believers in Sunday roasts - pass the mint sauce! :D

To igorian and lee uk. you can change the flags around. some people do that you know ;) ;) ;)

jasy said:
To igorian and lee uk. you can change the flags around. some people do that you know ;) ;) ;)

I fly my flag for England, and the Queen. (Even if we are the 51st American State! :( )

Your flying your flag for wales and scotland too mate :LOL: and Northern Ireland ;)

Sponsored Links
Back