Anyone used flat-pack for an extension?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Or is it a big no-no guys? Am planning a possible ground floor rear/and side extension at home and seen a few programmes about the flat pack options, are they any good? And what are the pro's and cons of these kits?

Sponsored Links
There will be one crucial screw missing.

I suspect that in this case, flat pack and self assembly won't be any cheaper or any better than more traditional building.

And isn't traditional building just flat pack assembly anyway? I can't really see the point - especially if the instructions are those stupid pictogram nonsense.

I think the op is referring to the pre fab panels as frequently used by the likes of diy sos. I have wondered whether there is any cost saving vs traditional brick build. Clearly the main advantage is time saving on site.

Sponsored Links
You can make exactly the same timber panels on site or in your garage.

The foundations are not flat packed, nor the floor, nor the brick outer skin, nor the roof tiling, nor the drains, nor the knock through, plastering, or anything else really.

I can't see any advantage at all for an extension. I've done them when first floor extensions needed something quick and lightweight, but would not buy one in, and its not a first choice.

Really we're talking about SIPs panels and for a domestic extension the savings will be negligible if any, they're really designeed for mass housing estates where saving a few weeks of construction time on every single house equates to a large saving. Though savvy buyers may be put off.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back