Apollo boiler problem

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We have an Apollo 15/30b central heating boiler

I've just bought a house and lo and behold... one week later, the boiler packs up!!!

It was running fine for the weeks up to the purchase (the vendors left the heating running to keep the house warm and dry)

After moving in, I noticed the circulating pump wasn't connected to the boiler directly, it was wired to the boiler spur, so the pump was spinning wether the boiler was on or off..... something I doubt is relevent to the present problem.

I switched on the boiler a few days ago and it didn't fire up, the pump is spinning, the waters circulating, the pilot light is ignited, the thermostat is screaming out for heat, but the main engines just don't fire up.

I've called in a few Gas Safe plumbers to have a look, they all leave scratching their heads, I'd always planned on replacing the boiler with a Worcester Bosch all singing all dancing combi, but not just yet, any ideas as to why it won't ignite?

Sponsored Links
No wiring has been changed, we flicked the boiler off at night and flicked it back on in the morning as usual and it didn't fire up.

Scratching there head from what will more than likely be a simple gas valve solenoid fault.
Pump will be wired in separate because someone else didnt know how to repair a pump over run stat on boiler.

Basic boiler to work on and fault find

Sponsored Links
The pump being wired up seperate doesn't bother me too much, just meant I had to switch the boier on and off at the electric spur socket otherwise the hum from the pump drove me nuts at night.... would doing that daily cause the gas valve solenoid to fail? I have done a voltage test on the gas solenoid and it's getting all the power it needs.

I'm not an engineer but peering inside came as a surprise, it's all a bit basic compared to a modern combi.

Thr pilot light fires and runs everytime without problem.

I was planning on replacing it in a couple of months anyway, pref when the warmer weather arrives and hoping for a quick fix until then.

Thats not what I asked you , I asked if anyone had relit the pilot light, try pulling the button out that you press and hold when lighting the pilot, these tend to stick and dont come fully out and prevent the main burner from coming on unless the button is fully out

As mcd says check button.

But if not is the solenoid a round coil on that one , they had a couple of types on that boiler

You should have looked at the boiler bEFORE buying the house if you wanted a modern boiler!

But a nice Intergas wil only cost you about £1580 fitted!

Tony

I've lit and re-lit the pilot a dozen times but not checked the button was fully out, will try that tomorrow, fingers crossed.
The solenoid is a round coil, is there any way to test it within the remit of not being qualified to tinker with gas.... I'm not planning on touching anything I shouldn't.

I did know it had an old boiler, I also knew it had an equally old boiler in the kitchen for the hot water, I checked them both and they worked, in fact the CH boiler had been running for the 4 months it took to buy the house. but as I said, I was planning on sticking a combi in later..... and made sure I paid the right price for the house to cover it.
I was thinking a Worcester Bosch 29cdi, seems to fit the bill for what I need and not heard any bad reports about them.... but I'm open for advice.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back