Appreciate thoughts on this

Sponsored Links
Perhaps, given you name, you should give us your views first.

Well its a supply for 11 large flats in an old building.
I am doing some minor work in one of the flats.
Had a look at the main meter cupboard as you do.

Old head, which I did not open
Concerns about earthing, that little wire to the right of the supply cable is all I can see, and I can't even see if it is connected to the supply cable.

Do not know age of head wonder about fused neutral, but suspect not

Slight sign of leaking,

Earthing is the biggest concern though.

Only taken a Zs in flat so far, which is OK, but proves nothing
not even started to worry about poor service block fixing

Sponsored Links
If it's leaking I'd call the DNO to have a look. The worst that can happen is you'll have wasted a few minutes on the phone, and you might just end up with a nice shiny service head and a decent earth.

Who does the henley block belong to? Doesn't look too clever to me.

Concerns about earthing, that little wire to the right of the supply cable is all I can see, and I can't even see if it is connected to the supply cable.
The picture is so small I assumed that was a cobweb, and I can't see if it is, or is not, connected to anything.

Or indeed if it is not in fact a cobweb.

Some bigger pics

The Henley is between the cut out and the meter, so I presume it belongs to the suppliers,, but if each flat has a different supplier, who owns it?

You can just see the suspect supply earthing conductor heading into that distribution box. Thats It, the only earthing I can spot, apart from a small connection to the bottom switch fuse. No Green or Green and Yellow anywhere

Flat Ze is OK 0.14 ohms

Thoughts welcome

View media item 63354 View media item 63356 View media item 63355

The "problem " with the earthing size from the cut-out is that is not covered by BS7671, as it is the responsibility of the DNO.

If anything I would suggest that you report the cut-out to the DNO for some fault or other(bitumen leak, over heating or something similar) this will get it changed as I would guess it will be at best a 60A version. There is a fair chance that they will uprate the earth cable at the same time.

The Henley block falls into a grey area as there is still discussion if it is DNO or MOP responsibility

It has been a while ago I last saw one of them and if memory serves, it is a very early Lucy, it may well have a fused Neutral, the tails are quite often soldered into the top of the head and some had re-writable fuse carriers with asspetos arc shields.

I would get the DNO out, tell them it is leaking and a bit smelly :D

There is definitely not a new supply coming directly into the bottom left "Ryefield" board is there?

That Henley block looks suspiciously like a 3 phase meter has been removed & all the tails connected to a single phase supply ......

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back