Appropriate window lintel solution?

Sponsored Links
Over 700 ft altitude , southwest facing and blown rockwool cavity insulation which I have now sucked out.
No tray!!
litl
Having said that, the insulation was dry and I have 7 identical catnic lintels that have been laying directly on the soil for 30 odd years with not a spot of rust to be seen
litl

Sponsored Links
Over 700 ft altitude , southwest facing and blown rockwool cavity insulation which I have now sucked out.
No tray!!
litl

Any weep holes?

Could I borrow that image, as I'd like to get some other thoughts on the failure. It must have been constantly damp, with possibly some freeze/thaw action to break the galvanising, but I would also expect there to be some sort of manufacturing defect with the coating too.

Any weep holes?

Could I borrow that image, as I'd like to get some other thoughts on the failure. It must have been constantly damp, with possibly some freeze/thaw action to break the galvanising, but I would also expect there to be some sort of manufacturing defect with the coating too.
Yes that would be interesting, heres another angle

Attachments

• 20170528192124.jpg
    20170528192124.jpg
    276.6 KB · Views: 173
OK, I am going to try one of two options.

1) Contact a local qualified domestic structural engineer/surveyor who can specify the correct type of lintel to be installed and to instruct a builder based on that.

2) Keep getting quotes from local builders untill one specifies the correct solution.

Given the hit and miss nature of number 2), I think option 1) is the best. At least that way it should ensure a proper job is done.

While I am able to question what a builder specifies and ask questions on here. Being able to specify the correct solution in detail to a builder is a different matter. There are too many things I would not be sure about; cavity trays, weep vents, correctly specified lintel. That, I assume will be done by a structural engineer.

Last edited:
1) Contact a local qualified domestic structural engineer/surveyor who can specify the correct type of lintel to be installed and to instruct a builder based on that.

All you need to do is look at the manufacturers brochure for a lintel for a single skin wall - an "L" shape. The length is the window opening plus 300mm, or 200mm at a push.

IG lintels - L10 or L11
Catnic - ANG or CCS

Or if you want the internal timber removed, a cavity lintel for the width of the wall.

You dont need to have an engineer calculate anything, and I can't see what value they will add.

A cavity tray will be needed. Bonus points for any builder that mentions this.

You just tell the builder that you want a standard lintel fitted, no angle iron, no bars, no alternatives. Just a standard lintel for the outer leaf, or if you want, a lintel for a cavity wall.

A cavity tray will be needed. Bonus points for any builder that mentions this.

Is a cavity tray needed only in the instance where a cavity lintel for the width of the wall is used? Rather than a lintel for a single skin.

Is there an advantage to replacing the timber lintel as well?

What specifically makes an angle iron cheaper and easier for a builder to use? It looks angled in the same way a proper lintel is angled. Is it just smaller and therefore easier to slot in? Hence, as you say, the builders use it as it makes the job a bit wasier for them.

Also, regarding price. You intimated that for what the other builder quoted (2.5k to just put angle bottom windows and a concrete lintel in the top ones) was rather expensive for the actual job in hand. What ball park would/should it be in.

Again, much apprciated information Woody

Last edited:
Update!

Got finally got a builder in who came around and said what sounded like the right sort of things. When an angle iron was mentioned as a possible solution by me, he said they were not appropriate as they were not meant for the job. He said that they are not secured in the same way as a lintel is and could soon begin to bow/sag.

He mentioned that the lintel is actually secured to the internal lintel or something like that. This gives it a lot more strength/rigidity compared to an angle iron. He said there are a variety of lintel brands and not to be concerned about specific names.

He asked about replacing the lintel on both sides of the cavity, but due to coving in the downstairs room it would be in appropriate. Is there any benefit to doing this elsewhere?

The only window he felt it may not matter was the small bathroom window as it is only around a metre in diameter. But we shall see.

For that price quoted, I'd expect the builder to be replacing a the external and internal lintel too.

You mentioned the previous quote was high.....the latest builder has quoted roughly for 2 new single skin lintels, (I am unsure why just two at the moment) for around £2400.

Based on your previous comment, does this sound extortionate? This is for just the lintels, separate from any window installation....

That sounds a rediculous price to me.

I bet every one of them means an L shaped lintel when they say angle iron.

Why can't I find a decent builder that charges appropriate prices *starts to sob.........

I checked multiple times with the others, I am pretty sure they just meant angle iron....

woody you do not travel up north do you!?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back