Approved Voltage Indicator ?

dv6

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Trainee electrician, got a Fluke 1653 multitester. It, of course, indicates and measures voltage but does it qualify as an approved voltage indicator ? Ive read various things online as well as GS38 but am unsure whether i should get a separate approved voltage indicator. GS38 states that a separate voltage indicator is "prefered" to a multiMETER but not prefered to a multitester. Anybody ? I dont want to waste money on more kit if the 1653 is sufficient.

cheers

Sponsored Links
One of those, e.g. Martindale, jobbies with neons will be easier to use.

Don't forget you'll also need a proving unit whatever you use.

I'd recommend a Martindale and Fluke Voltstick.

If you leave your proving unit at home there's always the incomer on the main switch. :D

Sponsored Links
I dont want to waste money on more kit if the 1653 is sufficient.

cheers

What do the Fluke instructions say? I don't have Fluke (apart from Voltstick) so I don't know. It might for example say that Volt measurements are only indicative and not to be relied up for the purposes proving dead.

My personal choice.

http://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Main_Index/Test_Meters_Index/Dilog_TM6741/index.html[/QUOTE]

Interesting to see that it's "fully GS38 compliant", according to the link. Last year my assesor for my 2391 exam wouldn't allow me to use mine as, he claimed, they are not gs38 compliant because the probes are not fused. If memory serves me right my NAPIT assesor seemed to agree that they were not fully compliant when I asked him a few months back.
However, I still prefer them to the bulky martindale I had to buy for the exam.
(BTW, you do get sheaths on the end to comply with the 2mm showing, unlike it shows in the picture)

The manual doesnt say a great deal regarding voltage indication. It just says a few words on use of the tester to measure voltage, which way to turn the rotary switch etc.
Oh well, i think im coming to the conclusion that a separate voltage indicator is the way to go. (and proving unit)

cheers for the replies

It's surprising how many people can't read properly isn't it?

GS38 comments on 'Voltage Detection Instruments' and says that due to their design, they don't require additional HBC fuses provided they are made to an acceptable standard.

Still, I much prefer my Martindale - perhaps it's all in the mind. Personal preference.

The manual doesnt say a great deal regarding voltage indication. It just says a few words on use of the tester to measure voltage, which way to turn the rotary switch etc.
Oh well, i think im coming to the conclusion that a separate voltage indicator is the way to go. (and proving unit)

cheers for the replies

Good deals on ebay for Martindale from time to time!!!

I'd recommend a Martindale and Fluke Voltstick.

If you leave your proving unit at home there's always the incomer on the main switch. :D

Couldn't agree more, also with regards to proving dead and correct function of voltage tester by using a known live source.
Still, I have a Martindale proving unit in the van too.

Personally, apart from testing the odd set of xmas tree lights I wouldn't use a volt stick for anything else. They are not approved testers.
Work issue us with steinel combicheck testers which are the only ones we are allowed to use on site.
I also have a set of the martindale testers and a proving unit for use away from work.

Correct - Voltsticks aren't approved testers which is why mine is used for indication only. Further testing would be carried out to confirm dead.

According to the ECS a multimeter is not an accepted way of proving dead either.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back