Aqualisa shower valve

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have purchased an Aqualisa Quartz thermo (unpumped) to fit downstairs. The instructions say I cant use a mains cold feed and a stored hot water cylinder supply. I thought about a pressure equalising valve but aqualisa say this wont work because it will reduce the hot supply as well, they say these valves are very restrictive. I am trying to avoid running a separate cold tank supply due to the number of floors and fitted carpets I would need to lift upstairs, any ideas please. I also thought about a pressure reduction valve on the mains cold only but again Aqualisa say it wont work due to reduced flow.

Sponsored Links
Either:

1. Balance the supplies;
or
2: Install a valve designed for unbalanced supplies.

To balance the supplies, you could take a cold feed from the cold storage cistern. If the flow is not adequate then you could install a dedicated shower pump.

Sponsored Links
they adviced you on not using a valve, to equal the pressure.

you can't run it from mains cold.
your only option is to run a pipe from the loft tank which you don't want to do.

apart from that get rid of the shower and get one that suits your system.

0r you could stick on a pressure reducing valve and see how you get on. I have an idea they're about £35

sure i fitted one not so long since and theres two models, one for gravity/pumped systems and one for mains pressure, both have different tapings. so using gravity feed ment for a pressure unit will not work.

Thanks for the replies.
JohnD, people I have spoken to today agree with you. They seem to think Aqualisa are just stating the ideal when in fact a PRV on the cold feed should work. I'll give it a try, easier than taking up the floor and fitted carpets upstairs to run a cold feed from the tank.

rdv123 said:
Did you actually read the post?
Yes - it indicates that you've bought the wrong valve and you don't want to do the right thing to remedy the situation.

If so your reply is of no help whatsoever.
That's your opinion, but the fact remains that what I posted is correct.

Maybe you'll be one of the lucky ones, but you're seeking advice from people who happen to make a living out of solving problems expediently and reliably, so it doesn't matter how many other people tell you that you could fit a pressure limiting device - it's in the lap of the gods whether or not it will make the system work consistently.

So go ahead - hide your head in the sand and ignore the manufacturer's guidance. Maybe you don't yet know that Aqualisa is such an outstanding manufacturer that they'll even send an engineer out, FOC during the warranty period, to deal with faults. When they see how you've bodged the ar*se out of your installation they'll be entitled to laugh all the way back to their van.

Well lads I bought the wrong valve and have now been suitably told off for trying to find an easy way out. Appears there is little choice here i.e. change the valve or run a new cold feed. Surprised at the different opinions concerning the effect of PRVs are they really so hit and miss

rdv123 said:
Well lads I bought the wrong valve and have now been suitably told off for trying to find an easy way out.
No. There's nothing wrong with trying to find an easy way out - all of us do it all of the time. You were "told off" because you were a git when you referred to the correct information as being "no help whatsoever".

I was already well aware of the correct way to do it and thats why your original post was not useful. Now it appears there is no easy fix only a difference of opinions on the suitability of PRVs. I did not insult you by name calling only suggested that if you had read the post it was clear that I was aware of the 'correct' solution. I turned to the forum for advice because people on here have a wide range of experience on plumbing. I build high performance car engines and should probably stick to the day job :oops:

rdv123 said:
I was already well aware of the correct way to do it
If that were true then your initial post was particulary unclear.

...and thats why your original post was not useful.
This is an illustration of how your attitude is blinkered, selfish, and gittish.

Other people may read this topic and benefit from the information, which is the main point of the forum, therefore it's unequivocably useful.

Now it appears there is no easy fix only a difference of opinions on the suitability of PRVs.
The fix seems pretty easy from where I'm standing.

I did not insult you by name calling only suggested that if you had read the post it was clear that I was aware of the 'correct' solution.
It wasn't clear. If you want to make something clear, then I suggest you state it, rather than assume that people know everything that you know.

And I don't know why your bringing name-calling into this - it seems unrelated and irrelevant to anything here.

I turned to the forum for advice because people on here have a wide range of experience on plumbing.
And advice is what you received. And a surly reply is what I received.

I build high performance car engines...
Well you haven't taken an engineering approach to the shower problem, so please let me know which engines you build, and I'll avoid them like the plague.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsored Links
Back