Architect cocks up, owner proudly continues...

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
One of the things that attracted us (well, me particularly) to the place we've recently bought was the garage under the house which was described as a workshop (~3m x 10m) woo-hoo!.

Actually, it was never used as a garage because once the place was finished, it was realised that it's virtually impossible to manoeuvre a a car into it from the drive... Nice planning, architect!

The architect (maybe builder) also managed to get the roof timbers built before the end of the planning phase, so when the bloke across the road (about 100 feet away) won his complaint that the roof was too high, they'd have had to order new timbers, or simply drop the roof by a foot - which was what was done.

This didn't leave enough room for the loft, so two of the bedrooms' ceilings go 3.5m up to the roof line (which is nice and spacious). But this also meant that the ceiling meets the walls a foot lower than it should in the other bedrooms, which - at 30-odd degrees - cuts about twice that off the width. (Relations between the bloke across the road and our predecessors were frosty, it seems.)

To make the non-garage into a "workshop" the owner floored it with laminate - apparently without a vapour barrier, and now resembling a seascape - an effect which would not be so striking if the short board ends had been staggered - instead of carefully aligned as they are.

And how he used it as a workshop, I've no idea. Humidity is 80%, and all my tools are in the house until I can dry it out and seal it properly, which won't be trivial :(

The kitchen and hall were open plan, and - he believed - merited a dividing wall. So he decided to cut the stone floor tiles at its base and 'properly' sink it. After a change of heart they removed it - we now have a trench filled with polyfiller where the wall was, with a light switch embedded in it. (Handy if your arms are full, I can't deny it!)

They built a wall cupboard that covers one edge of the fuseboard/cabinet thing - making it almost impossible to remove. Rather than build it four inches to the right, it's cunningly positioned to also obscure the main TV and telephone points.

A few projects in the garden, too: there's a kitchen garden of sorts, thoughtfully placed to the north of the house, where the dropped roof mitigates the almost permanent shade...

They also built a couple of ponds, with a cascade - then moved one lower because only when they'd finished it did they realise that they couldn't see it from the conservatory. This has left a nice flat circle with a rocky border in a sloping lawn. They put the pump in the lower pond right next to the cascade, ensuring that oxygenated water remains in a nice tight circuit without risking more distant parts becoming habitable.

Knowing zilch about our new ponds, went to the library...

The *first* pond book we got suggests a minimum depth of 45cm to protect against thermal shock - ours are 20cm, so the Swiss winter will be fun for the fish. Oh, and apparently willow tree leaves are toxic to fish - can you guess what's looming over the ponds?

(Mind you, if we got rid of the willow, then we'd be better able to see the apple tree they planted 20yrs ago, because it's now underneath the willow.)

I could go on, but the catharsis is done.

Sponsored Links
cor and you think youve got problems,
when i moved into my house i had to replace a light bulb that had blown,

NOW THATS STRESS :LOL: :LOL:

Sponsored Links
Oh, and apparently willow tree leaves are toxic to fish - can you guess what's looming over the ponds?

*Quickly googles to see if ash trees are toxic to fish*

Phew, apparently the ash tree near my planned pond location is just fine. Wahoo!

I'm presuming you live in an Italian or French part of Switzerland. In the German bits they'd have had the builder shot for not conforming to the technical ideal. Vorsprung durch Technik, and all that. (Seriously, I've worked with German engineers, the stereotype is entirely true - they can't comprehend the concept of something not being done on time and to spec... they honestly think they've mistranslated what you've said if you ask "Do you think you'll have this finished on time?").

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back