Architrave - doors too close to wall

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All. I'm hoping someone can advise the best way to go deal with fitting architraves when one side of the door opening is very tight to the wall. It is the same throughout the house and it's probably 2-3cm max. I've had to fit strip wood to the door liners to bring it out level with the plaster so the 2/3cm is now about 8mm narrower set it back from the edge.
So far, i've fitted a few with just one side and the header and left the wall side completely but I'm not sure if it looks naff and if i need to go back and fix it. My issue will be that i will need to first rip down the strip wood and then the architrave which will only be ~1cm anyway. I don't have a table saw and i'm not very good at doing the mitres and i guess i would probably need to scribe the wall side too so there seems a lot of things to mess up for a DIYer.
Is it acceptable to just leave it with one side and header only? It may be that it looks a lot worse now as it's bare wood against painted walls but i don't want to go any further if theres a chance ill need to go back and redo it all.

Sponsored Links
just rip down the back of the architrave as needed, then when you do the head, cut the head architrave to the length it needs to be, then cut the full side as normal then the other side cut the mitre leaving a flat.

I'm not too confident in my ability to rip down such a thin strip without a proper table saw. Seems like it would be tricky with a circular or handsaw?
I've attached a photo one that ive done so far. It's a bit blurry but hopefully you get the gist of it. It probably would have been better if id chose a thinner architrave as i think it's quite noticeably missing one side as it stands...

Attachments

• Door.jpg
    Door.jpg
    38.4 KB · Views: 1,153
Sponsored Links
I do it quite a bit with a cordless rip saw, often freehand, having marked out the cut line clearly first. One method is to support the architrave full length on top of a workbench (this can be as simple as a couple of trestles and an old door on top, or two stacks of btreeze blocks spanned by three pieces of 3 x 2 softwoos andwith a piece of chipboard or OSB on top). To give clearance for the blade the architrave is supported on short off cuts of timber every 400mm or so and the saw blade depth is set to the thickness of the architrave plus a couple of millimetres. If needs be use a couple of panel pins to hold things in place and stop them moving - just be careful to place them out of the path of the saw blade. The cut is made. The blade cuts into your blocks a couple of millimetres, but as they are only scrap it doesn't really matter

If you are working on doors you'll probably need a couple of trestles. The traditional joiner's trestles are nice to own, but maybe a tad complex for a beginner, but a pair of site trestles can be knocked-up quickly from 3 x 2 softwood and look like this:

Quick and Dirty Trestle.jpg

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back