Architraves, skirtings and niceic people

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, just had a guy round to quote for a rewire of my property. He has suggested that he could minimise replastering by running cable up behind the architrave and along the back of skirting.... :eek:

When I said I couldn't find his company (x) on www.competentperson.co.uk, he said, "Oh, I'll be listed as company "y". They are listed, and in a similar location.

I'm concerned that a: he's not up to the job, and b: He'll be doing this kind of work elsewhere.

What should I do?

Sponsored Links
Look for someone else.

If you don't trust her at this early stage, then you are going to have a difficult working relationship.

There are loads of un-registered sparks working on their mates of other peoples registrations and it sounds like you've found one.

Stear well clear especialy if he intends running cables behind skirting boards :evil:

Sponsored Links
I don't know what the situation is elsewhere, but I am struggling to find a spark that really wants the work. This is the third person, first guy came round 3 weeks ago, and not qouted yet, 2nd guy never turned up, and no word for a week, 3rd lot went to the wrong place and arrived 2 hours late. 4th bloke doesn't seem to know his arse from his elbow and the fifth is currently 35 minutes late and not contacted me.

Fancy a trip over to York RF?

on www.competentperson.co.uk, he said, "Oh, I'll be listed as company "y". They are listed, and in a similar location.

I'm concerned that a: he's not up to the job, and b: He'll be doing this kind of work elsewhere.

What should I do?

At least notify the company (y) he claimed to be registered under that he is using their name, they may already know and not have a problem with it. Or they may not be aware someone is pretending to be of of their staff.

Also notify www.competentperson.co.uk so they can check company (y) is not pulling a fast one.

If it puts one dangerous cowboy out of business it will be worth it.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back