Are consumer 13A sockets double-pole switched ?

All 7 brands of 'white' 13A sockets currently listed on TLCs website (BG, Contactum, Crabtree, MK, "Pure Range", Telco & "Ultimate Range") claim to have DP switches. In the case of Crabtree, there appears to also be a SP alternative available, but for all the other makes, one seems to have no choice but to have DP.
Marbo sockets have a SP version.
Fair enough - but they are not one of the seven makes which TLC offers :)

I would imagine that there are a good few SP ones out there, particularly amongst ones too cheap (or iffy) for TLC to stock, but it seems that, contrary to what westie suggested, the great majority of mainstream brands are probably now DP.

In some senses it's odd. Given that it's so easy to pull a plug out, it's not obvious that there is all that much need for socket switches to be DP. Indeed, as has been said, it can be argued that BS1363 sockets probably don't really need to have switches at all.

Kind Regards, John

Sponsored Links
I'm amazed marbo do a DP version!

I think the only rule I can think off is that all mk ones are DP

Waits to be proved wrong

I think the only rule I can think off is that all mk ones are DP
As I said, all seven makes listed by TLC claim to be DP (although Crabtree also available as SP). I can't say whether they are telling the truth.
Waits to be proved wrong
As I also said, I'm not sure I really understand this desire for DP switches in sockets.

Kind Regards, John

They are very handy in this world of rcds.

For those that don't understand they need to pull plugs out to prevent faulty equipment tripping an rcd.

I would therefore recommend DP for kitchen and util rooms

Sponsored Links
They are very handy in this world of rcds. For those that don't understand they need to pull plugs out to prevent faulty equipment tripping an rcd. I would therefore recommend DP for kitchen and util rooms
As has been discussed, very rare situations aside, that's about the only 'advantage' I can think of, but I'm not convinced that it really is a very compelling reason. Maybe we should do away with the switches completely - then people would have no choice but to 'understand' that they had to pull out the plug to disconnect the appliance and achieve isolation!

Kind Regards, John

That would be good for isolation, but not good for convenience or for helping the world to be green and switch stuff off.

That would be good for isolation, but not good for convenience ..
I'm not sure that convenience is much as issue, given that the need for isolation would be so rare.
... or for helping the world to be green and switch stuff off.
Theoretically true, but I seriously doubt that, even when there are switches, many kitchen/utility room (or many other) appliances ever get switched off! Even when there are banks of grid switches, they are often hidden behind toasters or bread bins and never noticed, let alone used!

Kind Regards, John

I was referring to John's silly comment, to have no switches, to force all pole isolation.
I wouldn't regard it as a silly comment since I think that the argument for having switched sockets (whether SP or DP) in general is a pretty weak one.

Kind Regards, John

Wow, I expected a 'few' remarks but the group has excelled itself again. No wonder some (new) posters get the ump.

Yes, I was referring to 13A socket outlets - did I suggest otherwise - and I know tongue in cheek but ones with a switch.

This is *exactly* it:-
They are very handy in this world of rcds.

For those that don't understand they need to pull plugs out to prevent faulty equipment tripping an rcd.

I would therefore recommend DP for kitchen and util rooms
But in this case comes from a 5-yearly electrics testing (commercial) where was asked to switch off, but no need to unplug so that IR testing could be carried out.
I double checked (excuse the pun) that switching off was isolated and then queried domestic 13A outlets; the guy was adamant that they are all double pole switched.

So the consensus is:-
We don't know ? Then maybe but best regard them as single pole ?

I double checked (excuse the pun) that switching off was isolated and then queried domestic 13A outlets; the guy was adamant that they are all double pole switched.
So the consensus is:- We don't know ? Then maybe but best regard them as single pole ?
Well, we don't know how many SP ones there are around - but, as I keep saying, all of the makes currently offered by TLC are DP, which leads me to suspect that, other than at the budget end of the market, most new ones now offered for sale are probably DP.

However, it's obviously different in terms of in-service sockets - since, if you go far enough back in time I imagine that all sockets probably had single-pole switches, and the change since then has presumably been very gradual.

Kind Regards, John.

My understanding is to assume single pole, unless its an MK or marked Double Pole on the back.

I think DP ones (in the same range) are about £1 more, so assume most people fit the cheaper SP ones.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back