Are felts that overlay existing bitumen flat roofs any good?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all

We have had some issues with a flat roof in a house we have just bought(discussed in a previous thread). I was particularly worried about the roof terrace but it seems the leak was just because the gutter had been blocked by leaves (the house had been empty for a while). Now unblocked it seems to have dried out OK so we can hope there are no more serious problems!

Anyway, we have got a few quotes to have the whole roof re-felted which are all a similar price (about 5K) but have decided just to get the roof terrace done for now and sort out the main roof later.

Underneath the terrace tiles is a layer of bitumen which is quite blistered and cracked in places and one of the roofers has recommended that he can burn down any blisters to level it and then overlay with the stuff below:

http://europolymers.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/evo-10.pdf

I don't think I'd be happy to do this on the main part of the roof as (although amazingly every roofer so far has said ponding is not a problem) I do want the falls adjusting - but that doesn't seem to be a problem on the terrace so this might be a solution (obviously we will be taking a chance that the boards underneath are OK).

The roofer said this was the best way as removing the old stuff could cause more damage to the interior etc. - but then he would say that :)

If we go with this I am then planning to use these:

http://www.eurodec.uk.com/Rubber_Tiles.html

(he quoted nearly £900 for installing them but I can buy them myself for half that - they look fairly straightforward to fit - has anyone used them?)

Anyway, what does everyone think - go with this or spend the extra on removing the existing covering and installing a 3-layer felt?

Thanks.

Jon

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back