Are Ferroli Boilers Any Good?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My old Potterton boiler is dying - Its definitely terminal.

A Corgi friend of a friend swears by Ferroli boilers, and wants to fit one of their combis for me.

I've never heard of them. Are the good reliable boilers?

Many thanks

Sponsored Links
Unless they have got good in last couple of years then no they are cheap shi#e

if it is the new optimax,have fitted a few. they are cheap sh1te but they perform well and have a lot of easy fit options.weather comp for one and very quiet in operation with easy to use controls,how long it will last is hard to say:cool:

better options at the same price...that dont leak as much

Have a look at the alpha range if your going cheapish, Worcester and Vailant if your pushing the boat out

Sponsored Links
ferroli have never made a good boiler, i doubt anything is going to change in the near future.

Are Ferroli Boilers Any Good?

It used to be that they are much the same as any other until the PCB goes.

If you believe what Which magazine say then the best boiler is a Baxi duo tec.

The jury is out on them for another 3 or 4 years though until problems start to develop. Same applies to any other boiler you can think of.

The guy at my merchants who I have known for 20+ years reckons that Saunier Duvals are back on form since they became part of Vaillant and Glow worm. He reckons that he sells more and gets less comebacks than with Baxi or Ideals the latter being notoriously crap. In 2011 I will tell you if he was right!

Officially every boiler on the market is rigorously tested and there isn't one that is not fit for its purpose.

The general rules that most of us seem to follow is :-
Don't get Ideal or anything French.
If you buy a cheap boiler expect to pay the manufacturers their profit when you buy some parts.
Buy something you can get parts for if they do go wrong. [Stick with known brands]
Remember you can get good or bad in any make of boiler and be lucky or otherwise in the one you pick off the shelf.
Worry more about the quality of the installation and make sure the system is properly flushed.

Saunier Duval are pulling out of the UK I believe,from tomorrow I think.

That's interesting Tony, guy in Grahams has seen SD's being put together at the Vaillant factory! I've put a few of the current 30kW ones in, good value and no problems (so far). French writing inside them on some of the parts though.
COuldn't agree more with Slug.
Ferroli (32kW??) are v cheap at the moment.

That's interesting Tony, guy in Grahams has seen SD's being put together at the Vaillant factory! I've put a few of the current 30kW ones in, good value and no problems (so far). French writing inside them on some of the parts though.
COuldn't agree more with Slug.
Ferroli (32kW??) are v cheap at the moment.

Certainly in Scotland they are pulling out ,according to my local supplier's branch manager.

Saunier Duval are pulling out of the UK I believe,from tomorrow I think.

Yes, I heard that a few weeks ago.

But since they seem to be the same as the GlowWorms inside its probably just the badging thats ceasing.

Ever since they made the SD620 which always leaked and had an engineers line with a premium rate call charge to listen to their music for five minutes until they replied, I have rubbished their boilers. At last their name is disappearing from the UK. I will have a drink to that this evening!

Tony

My experience is a very poor one. I installed a new Optimax 25S last year. It worked perfectly and far more economically than the old Ideal élan it replaced. Then it died. Eventually I got through to Ferroli's technical people and they diagnosed a failed fan tachometer. It seems this is a known fault with these boilers. Ferroli's service division is a joke; it is impossible to get through on the phone and they do not answer e-mails or faxes. Ever time I was told there were 20, 21 or 23 callers ahead of me in the queue. I resolved to buy a replacement fan and try to claim the money off Ferroli. The fan took nearly 4 weeks to arrive and was the wrong one, despite being clearly referred to as Optimax 25. I have sent it back to Ferroli and have demanded a correct replacement; so far, no response at all. It seemed very well-built but the electronics have let it down - albeit German electronics, not Italian ones. (The fans are made by EBM Papst AG). Woe is me, I wish I'd spent a bit more and got a better boiler.

My old Potterton boiler is dying - Its definitely terminal.

Which model is it, and what is the problem? If your friend's knowledge of repairs is as good as his advice on what to buy next, I'd get a second opinion.
A Corgi friend of a friend swears by Ferroli boilers, and wants to fit one of their combis for me.

I doubt your corgi friend is very good, for 2 reasons.
1. Nobody worth his keep would "swear by " ferroli
2. Corgi is no more; if he says he is corgi registered, it could well be he is not a RGI (anymore)
I've never heard of them. Are the good reliable boilers?
Neither good, nor reliable.

Posted: Sun Mar 30, 2008 7:28 pm Post Subject: Are Ferroli Boilers Any Good?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back