Are my extension electrics illegal?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Recently an electrician wired a new room in my house. He extended the ring from another room into the first extension socket, then from that I have 3 spurs daisy chained together.

I read that it was illegal to have more than 2 spurs leading off of an outlet on the ring.

Are the extension electrics legal?

Sponsored Links
Does the 1st socket have a fused spur to limit the load on the daisy chain to 13a max ?

There should only be a maximum of 1 spur per socket outlet thats part of the ring main.
I'd get the "spark" back and tell him to sort it,
Its potentially dangerous & wrong!

BJ :oops:
I thought a f/spur from the 1st socket allowed additional spurs due to limiting the total load to the 13a fuse rating :?:

Sponsored Links
I thought a f/spur from the 1st socket allowed additional spurs due to limiting the total load to the 13a fuse rating :?:

Thats correct.
OSG says unfused spurs should not exceed number of socket outlets, (which means you can 1 spur from every socket). Fused spurs are unlimited (which means you can take as many sockets as you want from a 13A FCU)

Thanks for your answers.
The 1st spur is not fused. I'll get him back to sort it. I guess he'll fuse it rather than return from the last spur to extend the ring.

That's the easy fix, as long as your happy that the 13a total load over all the sockets is not going to be a problem.

13 x 230v = 2900w.

So don't go using an iron, a heater and a hair drier at the same time.

Also, should I expect a certificate under part P because the ring has been extended into another room?

Depends on whether the work was notifiable. What is the room into which the circuit was extended?

Did you get a BS 7671 certificate?

I also have a question- What size fuse or circuit breaker feeds the socket circuit that was later extended?

Sorry I thought OP meant 3 spurred socket outlets.
I'll get my coat lol :oops:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back