Are Poles Better Builders?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm having my house renovated at the moment, and we've had various teams in, all managed by the same building company. The building company is English owned and run, but the teams are a mix of Polish and English (although not mixed together).

The English guys we had in were very nice, but took a long time to do not too much. They also moaned alot about the job and moaned about the Polish builders that were also working on the house. The English guys did not finish their bits of the job to standard and we're having to get the Poles to finish off the snagging.

The Poles, on the other hand, can't do enough. They work six days a week to a high standard and nothing is too much bother. I'm aware that English builders might see themselves as being undercut by the Poles, but surely they weren't helping themselves?

Has anyone else had a similar experience?

Sponsored Links
bu1lder.jpg

Can't see a difference myself!

The English are lazy towards the poles,been working at the side of some polish lads, but, they like a drink, vodka and lager , they get more done, but the saftey is too be questioned, the quality of THESE lads, was good. Make your own desision

I reckon some are good and some are bad

like british lads really

sorry to be controversial but I am not one to sit on the fence

;)

Sponsored Links
Like corgiman says, some good,some bad. I suppose the biggest gripe is that they apparently work for less money, the knock-on effect being less work for UK nationals and/or a reduction in labour rates. We must have a few round here now cos a local call centre is advertising for Polish speaking staff.

Could be a Yank Richard. Done an image search for Polish Builders and this is one that came up, but it's linked to a U.S. site. Maybe all the Poles were out buying their Vodka and lager when the photographer turned up?

Pay the Polish lads the same as the Brits. I dont see the problem then.

maybe the main contractor is getting cheap workers. that would account for the observed shortfalls in the UK ones.

I do a bit on the scrap now and again, i'm not a *****, i despise that word as i know loads of good lads, there are some arseols(sp)

When i was a kid, it was "rag bone" there is still some lads from wigan that come down our way, still "ragbone it"

these poles are knocking on EVERY door with the missus 200yds in front saying" cooker, you have old cooker, i need old cooker or washer, need to cloth/feed my child(in arms)

they are good

these poles are knocking on EVERY door with the missus 200yds in front saying" cooker, you have old cooker, i need old cooker or washer, need to cloth/feed my child(in arms)

they are good
Christ what happened to the old Shire horse, bell & chant then! Can't see that being as successful a story line as Stepteo & Son but I suppose it rather depends on who is gonna make the TV audience in 2015! :(

I can't say I'm paying them any less - don't think they're working for less - they all seem to have nice cars, good jeans, etc. They do just come in and get on with it though. No chat, no tea breaks, no chin rubbing and teeth sucking.

I've definitely got nothing against English builders, but these Polish guys are working incredibly hard. They also seem to know the latest rules and regs, and their plastering is a work of beauty!

Maybe I'm lucky and have just found a good bunch?

I've just read a feature about an estate agency set up entirely to help Poles buy homes over here. So, while there are definitely lots of them, there must be enough of them earning a decent wage to afford a house.

Another conduit for dosh.. But they will soon learn the score, there are plenty of long term Polish merged into society ok in UK, just hard luck if they populate your trade...
:D :D

I can't say I'm paying them any less - don't think they're working for less - they all seem to have nice cars, good jeans, etc. They do just come in and get on with it though. No chat, no tea breaks, no chin rubbing and teeth sucking.

I've definitely got nothing against English builders, but these Polish guys are working incredibly hard. They also seem to know the latest rules and regs, and their plastering is a work of beauty!

Maybe I'm lucky and have just found a good bunch?

I've just read a feature about an estate agency set up entirely to help Poles buy homes over here. So, while there are definitely lots of them, there must be enough of them earning a decent wage to afford a house.

as in all walks of life some good some bad. weve been to jobs where theyve worked for english bosses and they havnt had a clue. fence posts put in with no concrete etc.

We have adds in our local papers for polish nights at clubs etc.

Sponsored Links
Back