Are the windows leaking or not?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, my tenant has reported an issue with an upstairs window. Apparently rain has leaked through the window and caused damage to the windowsill (see image).

I have no idea how rain water could have caused this damage? Has anyone seen anything like this before?

These are wooden windows. They appear in good order on the inside and out. To be fair they could do with being sanded and treated but I honestly don’t see how this damage could have occurred with the windows in there current state.

There are no visible signs of water damage anywhere around the window or frame.

I have asked the tenant to identify where the water is coming the next time it rains. Clearly it needs to be sorted. I am just baffled as to how this happened when there are no obvious signs of damage to the window.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Cheers!

Attachments

• 20160925_135934.jpg
    20160925_135934.jpg
    173.8 KB · Views: 166
  • 20160925_135932.jpg
    20160925_135932.jpg
    210.9 KB · Views: 159
Sponsored Links
He left the window open in a storm?;)

Seriously, you need to photograph the outside. Maybe because of the way it has been installed, there is water getting in from underneath the sill outside?

Looks like it has happened over time.

timsc, hi.

Can you get a hold of a Moisture Meter? that is one way to tell if the damage was indeed occasioned by water.

I can see no indications of water marking inside on the plaster???

Could the damage be caused by SLAMMING of the window on the frame? as an aside, is the window a good clean fit? to close the window does it take undue force to close or open the window?

Ken.

Sponsored Links
The sealant on the outside of the window has gone, and it's also possible that the water is tracking back under the window seal towards the wall, rather than dropping down.

There doesn't seem to be any water stains on the internal cill, and it almost looks like a movement crack.

Check the drip groove outside under the cill you can do this easily from inside with a mirror my guess it's missing.
Apart from just replacing the internal cI'll you need to get to the bottom of the problem and when you replace the internal cI'll use upvc nice white finish that doesn't need painting and it's water proof !!! Eurocell supply them ....
www.eurocell.co.uk

No obvious water damage , or staining..but we can't really tell from the pic ..

Sealant could be missing from outside or under cill , again no external pic , so can't tell , but would have thought there would have been visible water marks well before it has broken like that. How does the plaster feel , if it has just happened it should still be wet...

Internal cill will need to be replaced obviously , just bear in mind with nice shiny white plastic cills , that when they get scratched/dented you can do very little about it . When you remove that original internal cill , you will be able to tell if it has got wet.

My guess ( and I stress guess ) is that tenant has slammed it and its cracked and tenant doesn't want to pay for the damage ...at the end of the day , if the tenant is generally a good tenant , just replace it , as it shouldn't cost too much...a small repair like that isn't worth falling out with a good tenant over in my opinion!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back