Are there any collectors of old military items on here?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
As per the title.

Need some advice on a certain item, namely a USMC Bowie fighting knife from the Korean war.

Sponsored Links
Can't say I'm a collector but I do have an interest. I drop in on this forum every so often and they do seem to have an awful lot of very knowledgable posters on there that may very well help you with your inquiry . Don't be put off by the name of the site , it isn't all German stuff and they have many American posters on there.
Anyhoo this is the forum -
http://forum.axishistory.com

Can't say I'm a collector but I do have an interest. I drop in on this forum every so often and they do seem to have an awful lot of very knowledgable posters on there that may very well help you with your inquiry . Don't be put off by the name of the site , it isn't all German stuff and they have many American posters on there.
Anyhoo this is the forum -
http://forum.axishistory.com

Thanks, I will take a look.

Sponsored Links
Not a collector, but I do still have my late father's 'tin hat' and a bayonet (from a Canadian Ross rifle - not sure how he acquired that). I remember being told that he also brought back another 'souvenir' - a Luger Parabellum pistol - from the war. Unfortunately, it appears that my mother made him throw it in the local mill dam when I was born. I presume he must have had some ammunition for it too.

I have never understood why people collect other peoples medals, just doesn't seem right to me.

I have never understood why people collect other peoples medals, just doesn't seem right to me.

I agree. Although I have my dad's medals (nothing 'heroic', I'm afraid), I also have an old Iron Cross. It wasn't awarded to my dad, I hasten to add!

My dad used to joke about having letters after his name: AS, IS, FGS. I suppose that FGS could conceivably be Fellow of the Geographical Society, though it isn't! I bet those of you who know a bit about wartime decorations know exactly what they are.

I agree. Although I have my dad's medals (nothing 'heroic', I'm afraid), I also have an old Iron Cross. It wasn't awarded to my dad, I hasten to add!

My dad used to joke about having letters after his name: AS, IS, FGS. I suppose that FGS could conceivably be Fellow of the Geographical Society, though it isn't! I bet those of you who know a bit about wartime decorations know exactly what they are.

Hmmmm an Iron Cross and FGS(Federal German Ship) are you trying to tell us something? :LOL:

Not a collector, but I do still have my late father's 'tin hat' and a bayonet (from a Canadian Ross rifle - not sure how he acquired that).

Ross rifles were issued to the Home Guard during WW2, along with US P14 & P17 rifles.

Not a collector, but I do still have my late father's 'tin hat' and a bayonet (from a Canadian Ross rifle - not sure how he acquired that).

Ross rifles were issued to the Home Guard during WW2, along with US P14 & P17 rifles.

I didn't know that. Actually, he was a fitter armourer in the RAF and I think he just 'came by' the bayonet 'unofficial like', same as how he got the Luger - he wasn't in the Wehrmacht either!

Edit: I've just been reading some interesting information about Ross rifles. It appears that, if the bolts were not re-assembled correctly (after cleaning), they could explode backwards into the rifleman's face due to not being properly fastened into the breech. Not ideal for amateur Home Guard members.

Probably £20 to £30 for the knife.
Iron Cross 2nd class £40-50
Lugar £2000-3000 even a relic rusty one would have a value get to the mill with a magnet on a rope.
On buying other peoples medals, some ones got to sell them first, usually family or hard up ex-service personnel that the state doesn't give a toss about.
Anyone with anything to sell in this line can P.M me.

Probably £20 to £30 for the knife.
Iron Cross 2nd class £40-50
Lugar £2000-3000 even a relic rusty one would have a value get to the mill with a magnet on a rope.
On buying other peoples medals, some ones got to sell them first, usually family or hard up ex-service personnel that the state doesn't give a toss about.
Anyone with anything to sell in this line can P.M me.

Well I guess. I would feel uncomfortable buying say a victoria cross or the like, think I'd rather give 'em the money on the proviso that they kept the medal!

Sponsored Links
Back