Are there any decent hardware stores out there?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I need to stock up the garage...
Where are other people going?

:eek:

Sponsored Links
Stock up the garage with what?

General DIY stuff really, I just moved from a flat into a house. Have the garage space and need to fill it. So various screws and nails, drill bits, paint rollers, bucket, could actually do with a new drill....

:rolleyes:

Sponsored Links
I dont know where they sell them, but you need a big box o' bits. Normally margarine-tub shaped, they contain all manner of rusty screws, headless screws, bent nails, kitchen cabinet hinges, terminal blocks, the odd bit of plumbing, damaged and broken drill bits, dowels . . . ask your dad, I bet he's got one. ;)

i have several of those, they come in different shapes and sizes. i also have some boxes of i don't know what the **** is in there as i cant be bothered to sort it out. a sort of lucky dip. i've also got some boxes of oh i might need those one day, that have been festering for years and some tools that i don't use anymore, but you never know one day they may come in handy. Not to mention a good assortment of old tins of paint and other crap that are well past there best.

Please contact me and i can provide you with a full price list for them. All absolutely essential for a new garage. alternatively you can just wait a year and walk into the garage and be surprised by how much crap you have gained in such a short space of time.

P.S. i gaurantee you wont find a car in the garage!

Off the top of my head:

All of the above plus...
1 wheelbarrow
3 roses tins packed with rusty nails/screws (some even have water in the bottom ???
4 rolls of various insulation, about 8 full packs of rockwool
3 sheets of 50mm kingspan
pair of axle stands
2 lawnmowers (1 petrol, 1 electric)
4 strimmers (2 petrol, 2 electric) only 1 works :eek:
1 cement mixer
1 garden fork, 1 hoe, 2 spades, 6 shovels (6?????)
:eek:
1 pitchfork??????????
Various kitchen cupboard doors, won't chuck 'em as they're oak :rolleyes:
1 mountain bike (been used once)
3 fire doors
2 desks minus legs
sack of 10 metal ikea desk legs
1 metal computer table
2, 3metre kitchen worktops
1 large bookcase from homebase, still in wrapper.
1 set of golf clubs, 2 golf club bags
2 old chairs
6 lengths of 12ft 9x2 timber + various others
20 sheets of 8ftx7ft 18mm mdf
box of fire hose nozzles
1 felling axe
1 felling axe (head only)
1 roll of tyvek
1 small oxygen bottle
1 set of drain cleaning rods
6 bags of cement (probably hard!)
etc etc......

*edit* forgot to mention the all important KITCHEN SINK!!!

Off the top of my head:

3 sheets of 50mm kingspan

Deluks - i've got 3 spare sheets of 8' x 4' 50mm insulation i'm willing to sell if you're looking to add to your collection?

I found the best possible solution to all the junk in our garage a couple of years ago - took to the garage with a sledge hammer then got rid of the lot all at once. My father-in-law came around and he kept picking up old light fittings, old taps etc... and saying 'you're not throwing this away are you?' to which i snappily replied 'if you want to keep it, put it in your car and take it but i'm not keeping this sh*t any longer' - he threw them back on the pile!!

We get planning permission for many a garage and i'd be surprised if 1 out of every 10 actually have a car put in them.

Stock up the garage with what?

General DIY stuff really, I just moved from a flat into a house. Have the garage space and need to fill it. So various screws and nails, drill bits, paint rollers, bucket, could actually do with a new drill....

:rolleyes:

Just leave the garage alone and you will find that in a year or so it will have filled itself. They always do!

Just leave the garage alone and you will find that in a year or so it will have filled itself. They always do!
I think you're onto something there bolo, perhaps that LHC device has planted small black holes in all the garages around the world that are sucking all that carp into them?

If your garage is empty at the mo, you could always try something weird, "put the car in it" :D

I can confirm that Thermo's items are of excellent quality, i have purchased several box's of "oh i might need those one day" some "handy bits" along with wotsits, thingymabobs, doodahs and stuff.

When I moved here I bought 24 large plastic boxes full of them... lol

If you want a load of screw etc just to be handy, sort yourself out somewhere to store them all, little tubs for them to go in, label them all, then go into a hardware store (much cheaper than a shed) with a long list and buy, buy, buy... :D

But I can guarantee you that not a single one will fit the jobs you have to do.
when you want a a 3/4" screw you'll only be able to find a 1/2" one etc.

Such is life.
That's why its best to just plan the jobs and buy for them.You'll soon fill your shelves with the left overs.

Sponsored Links
Back