Are those fused sockets resting on the floor up to regs?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All

Under kitchen cabinets, for washing machine and dishwasher. Fused 13 amp yes, but does it need to be attached somewhere?

PXL_20231203_003630354.jpg

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Hi All

Under kitchen cabinets, for washing machine and dishwasher. Fused 13 amp yes, but does it need to be attached somewhere?
The main issue is that both they and the cables entering them need to be (separately) secured to something, to prevent the cables being tugged out ('strain relief').

Beyond that,I think one might struggle to find a regulation which insisted on accessories being 'attached'. After all, if they were 'trailing sockets' at the end of 'extension leads', no one would suggest that they had to be attached to something.

Kind Regards, John

The main issue is that both they and the cables entering them need to be (separately) secured to something, to prevent the cables being tugged out ('strain relief').

Beyond that,I think one might struggle to find a regulation which insisted on accessories being 'attached'. After all, if they were 'trailing sockets' at the end of 'extension leads', no one would suggest that they had to be attached to something.

Kind Regards, John
Except that the "wiring" utilized is not designed to be "flexible".

Technically, they need to be fixed as @JohnW2 said, but I've seen similar by professional electricians behind kitchens.

I'd leave them.

Sponsored Links
Would have took two mins to clip to the wall studs tbh.

Which is what i would do.

Its what I'd call a little bit pants, I don't like sockets under the units but if it was me, I'd have used conduit entry boxes with stuffing glands, and likely found a but of 18mm ply or similar and fixed box sockets to it with 5/8" screws and ideally as long as it was big enough, used one of the adjustable feet to trap it against the floor. The 18mm ply will mean that spills on the floor shouldn't get into the sockets

Not exactly something I like but providing any tug issues and flooding/wetting possibilities are dealt with suitably I could not fault it.
Once the kickboards are in place then the only issue is can they get wet.
Personally I like plugs and sockets to be placed so you can readily get to them but again it`s hard to try to argue against those.

Not exactly something I like but providing any tug issues and flooding/wetting possibilities are dealt with suitably I could not fault it.
Once the kickboards are in place then the only issue is can they get wet.
Personally I like plugs and sockets to be placed so you can readily get to them but again it`s hard to try to argue against those.
It's sh.ite.

That's the argument lol.

Well I am not going to disagree with your opinion on that but I think I put it slightly more delicately

In fact I would struggle to envisage compliance with a Reg I think is one of the most powerfull in BS 7671 , around reg number 143 or so.

In fact I would struggle to envisage compliance with a Reg I think is one of the most powerfull in BS 7671 , around reg number 143 or so.

Are you perhaps talking about "good workmanship" (134.1.1)? If so, I agree that might be taken to cover this issue but, of course, the reg is so vague as to be next-to-useless, since opinions about "good workmanship" will probably vary dramatically.

As I said at the start, the fact that the socket is not fixed to anything may not be 'nice' but probably isn't a major issue in itself since, as I said, idf it were a trailing socket supplied by flex, no-one would suggest that it had to be attached to anything.

However, as I said, 'stress relief' (or the absence of it) is an issue - and, in the absence of any sort of clamp within the accessory to achieve that would require the accessory to be attached to something, and the cable to be 'clipped.

Kind Regards, John

As I said, I can ('fault it') - on the basis of the absence of 'strain relief'.

Kind Regfards, John

Yes John, good workmanship and proper materials has been in the regs for a long time now and to my way of thinking is widely disregarded by many.
Of course some of us come from generations where "if a job is worth doing, it is worth doing well!" was pretty much viewed as sacrosant.
So perhaps I am biased.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back