Are those fused sockets resting on the floor up to regs?

Yes John, good workmanship and proper materials has been in the regs for a long time now and to my way of thinking is widely disregarded by many.
I agree totally but, as I said, as 'a regulation' it is so vague (hence will be subject to very varying interpretations) as to be almost useless.
Of course some of us come from generations where "if a job is worth doing, it is worth doing well!" was pretty much viewed as sacrosant. So perhaps I am biased.
Again, I (being from such a generation!) totally agree. However, many proverbs come in totally contradictory pairs, such as ...

"too many cooks spoil the broth" vs. "Many hands, light work"
"look after the pennies and the pounds will look after themselves" vs. "penny-wise, pound foolish"
etc. etc.

I have similarly come across "if a job's worth doing, it's worth doing badly" - the meaning being that to 'do it badly' may be preferable to not doing it at all!

Kind Regards, John

Sponsored Links
It's not fit for purpose.
If you can't find a point in the code it contradicts, it's proof that codes and regulations are only a minimum std and do have a degree of understanding and common sense as a unwritten underpinning.

It's not a fixed socket. There is no strain relief so it's utterly unsuitable for temporary plug usage.
It's in the floor in a wet zone and is unsealed.
Should it take a slight tug when unplugging, the user is dead. Should the washing machine, dishwasher it's plugged into **** its pants, then something not good will happen. Should the mrs get over exuberant with the mop, you better hope the earthing didn't get pulled out.
Should the owner pull it by accident when changing the washing machine in the future, or moving the kick boards, they are dead.
Should the kid find it and stick things in it, they are dead.

Please don't justify it.

It's horrendous.

It's not fit for purpose. If you can't find a point in the code it contradicts, it's proof that codes and regulations are only a minimum std and do have a degree of understanding and common sense as a unwritten underpinning.
I essentially agree, but ...
It's not a fixed socket. There is no strain relief so it's utterly unsuitable for temporary plug usage.
As I said at the start, the only explicit non-compliance is the lack of strain relief.

As I also said, "not a fixed socket" is not necessarily so much of an issue, certainly regs-wise. If it were a training socket {with strain relief) (as per any 'extension lead') I suspect that far fewer people would have concerns, let also be suggesting that it was non-compliant with regs (e.g.on the basis of 'bad workmanship').
It's in the floor in a wet zone and is unsealed.
I'm not sure what you mean by 'unsealed'. Many an 'ordinary' electrical accessory is installed under a sink etc.

Kind Regards, John

Sponsored Links
Alright, I think there is a consensus that it could be made better.
Indeed.
If it's a matter of attaching a piece of plywood to the feet and fixing waterproof sockets on it so they are fixed and off the floor then let's get it done.
The most important thing is that the sockets and the cables both be fixed to the same 'something' (or two 'somethings' which could not move relative to one another) - so that cable can't be yanked out of sockets.

I suppose that 'off the floor' might be theoretically a bit better (although water could still fall onto the sockets), but, for what it's worth, I personally would not be too concerned about that, and almost certainly would not bother with 'weatherproof sockets' - as I said, there are countless 'ordinary' sockets and other electrical; accessories installed beneath sinks etc.

Kind Regards, John

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back