Are you allowed to fit a multifuel burner below a low roof?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm in the process of converting an old Barn into an upstairs flat, and would very much like to fit a wood burner or coal burner/stove (not an open fire), but the roof clearance right against the walls is only 180cm.

While there is plenty of space to fit a small wood burner and chimney, I wanted to check if there were any guidelines or restrictions that might not allow an (enclosed) fire so close below the roof.

Thanks!

Sponsored Links
Thanks Corgigrouch.

I did think it would probably be fine, but I am running into all sorts of strange planning restrictions for rather random issues: like being told I have to have stained brown, softwood window frames (when the existing windows for the last 25years have been hardwood painted grey!)

So I figured I should check rather than find out the hard way!

It sounds like that you may be having a stainless twin wall flue system fitted.... Best check that a large tube sticking out of your roof is OK.

Sponsored Links
Yes, the metal chimney will be accepted ok (it just needs to be a certain height above the roof to pass planning I think).

I was more worried if there might have been some guideline I didn't know about, restricting having a woodburner so close below the roof, due to fire hazard or something, but it seems not!

The height above roof level is going to be an issue for you.
1.8m inside, you'll have a good 3m on show outside.

Is it planning your struggling with or conservation,
If it was accepted onto what ever with grey hardwood then you can fit exactly the same back.
Had exactlyvthevssme thing in relation to plastic guttering, our old place had plastic when we bought it and had had got a decade. The odd bids wanted us to use cast, but after a long battle they lost because it was listed with plastic guttering.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back