Area detection cctv to PC

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi again all,

I have an urgent problem I need to get sorted asap -

I need to set up an area detection CCTV which is connected to my PC to alarm for my elderly father who has dementia and has come home from the hospital today.

I will set it up so that if he sits up in bed I will get a bleep from my PC while I'm in bed (I will set up an intercom as well so as to save myself having to get up everytime, but I don't need help with that).

I have tried a micro camera from ebuyer which is USB only and works well in daylight with the area detection software and could get a USB extender for it but I want to set up my infra-red mini covert cam which I bought from Maplin. The outputs from the infra-red camera are RCA composite video and audio. I am trying to find a card/dongle that will be recognised by the PC. My first thought is the 'Hauppauge USB-Live2'. Second choice would be an ezcap (I am looking for something reasonably priced as first choice but will consider a more expensive set up if necessary (however all suggestions are welcome as this is a very important situation).

Thanks very much in advance for any advice.

Pit

Sponsored Links
Why not just 'contact' the door to warn if he leaves the room, much easier and less annoying for you in the middle of the night.

(I've been there so know exactly your concerns & problems)

Using a PC and movement detection on a video image is over kill and requires a reliable PC that will not crash when left permanently on.

There are bed sensors for this type of situation. They detect the wieght of the person and how it is distributed on the bed and can reliably alert when the person is getting out of bed.

Have a word with the hospitals after care team who should be able to give you details of a local supplier.

http://www.healthandcare.co.uk/bed-...sor-mat.html?gclid=CLXSi-PBwLACFVMetAod6SUxXA

is the first one that google found.

EDIT

That one appears to be a single mat that alerts only when the patient is leaving the bed. There are systems with 3 mats ( chest, buttocks and feet areas ) that alert on movement in the bed prior to leaving the bed.

You could also consider a PIR sensor masked to sense at chest height ( for the person siting up in bed ) or a break beam sensor(s) along the edge of the bed. This would detect if the person rolled out of bed or put their legs out ready to stand up,

Sponsored Links
Why not just 'contact' the door to warn if he leaves the room, much easier and less annoying for you in the middle of the night.

(I've been there so know exactly your concerns & problems)
Cheers for reply Euro, the problem with my dad is - he is likely to fall over badly the moment he gets up. His balance and movement are very bad.

Using a PC and movement detection on a video image is over kill and requires a reliable PC that will not crash when left permanently on.

There are bed sensors for this type of situation. They detect the wieght of the person and how it is distributed on the bed and can reliably alert when the person is getting out of bed.

Have a word with the hospitals after care team who should be able to give you details of a local supplier.

http://www.healthandcare.co.uk/bed-...sor-mat.html?gclid=CLXSi-PBwLACFVMetAod6SUxXA

is the first one that google found.

EDIT

That one appears to be a single mat that alerts only when the patient is leaving the bed. There are systems with 3 mats ( chest, buttocks and feet areas ) that alert on movement in the bed prior to leaving the bed.

You could also consider a PIR sensor masked to sense at chest height ( for the person siting up in bed ) or a break beam sensor(s) along the edge of the bed. This would detect if the person rolled out of bed or put their legs out ready to stand up,

Thanks Bernard, very good solutions, greatly appreciated.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back