Arghhhhhhh .. Please Help!!!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I don't know what to do and have no funds at the mo to sort this prob ..OMG!
My toilet won't flush.
It doesn't fill enough, is one prob, it only fills a quarter, so I hold the ball down to fill it, then I have to push the handle 3 0r 4 times in quick succession and though it flushes then (halfheartedly) it only Just flushes or sort of half flushes, oh I just don't know what to do or who to ask, I cannot pay anyone ... Help! Please.
Eve
Here are some pics

Sponsored Links
The first thing to sort out is ensuring the cistern fills up enough for the siphon to work properly (siphon is the big white plastic vessel). Adjust the bolt/nut configuration (to the left of the blue bit where the water comes in) so that the float ball cuts off the water supply later rather than sooner. Essentially you are moving the plastic bolt AWAY from the pin (the pin is pushed in by this bolt and when pushed in it cuts the water off).

If this works then all is well.

If the water level is high and you still have to do repeated flushes then the "diaphragm" inside the siphon is knackered. You have to switch the COLD water supply off, empty the cistern with a sponge, remove cistern from wall (may have to saw through rusty bolts with hacksaw blade if rusted solid but might be ok), unbolt cistern from pan, remove siphon, dismantle siphon, put new diaphragm in and put all back together. You can make a diaphragm from any polythene of a similar thickness (I use thin plastic folders from Staples).

UPDATE: You do not have to remove cistern from wall or unbolt from pan as is not a close coupled - my silly mistake, was not taking note of last pic.

the float valve needs adjusting so to let more water in to cistern.
follow the arm with the ball on the end up towards the valve and their will be a screw with a nut on, slacken the nut and screw the screw outwards a turn or so that will let more water in till it fillings to the water level than tighten the nut.

the tall flush syphon in the middle of cistern needs a new diagrhagm in the bottom or change for a complete unit.

If the water level is high and you still have to do repeated flushes then the "diaphragm" inside the siphon is knackered. You have to switch the COLD water supply off, empty the cistern with a sponge, remove cistern from wall (may have to saw through rusty bolts with hacksaw blade if rusted solid but might be ok), unbolt cistern from pan, remove siphon, dismantle siphon, put new diaphragm in and put all back together. You can make a diaphragm from any polythene of a similar thickness (I use thin plastic folders from Staples).

I would be very surprised if many householders would be able to manage all that! Its not a job which I relish.

We charge about £85 but I can remember one of our plumbers having all the problems on just one job and it took him about three hours!

Tony

Sponsored Links
Goldspoon,

Look at the picture again, its a low level cistern not close coupled.

OP, empty cistern as described, unsrcrew retaining nut on bottom of cistern, remove flush pipe from underneatand syphon from above, replace syphone washer and replace.

Rico

It would be easier to do the job if the instructions said flush the cistern first rather than having to empty all six litres with a sponge.

Tony

Tony,

That would be ideal but if the syphon is completely fooked, she'll never get the water out of the cistern.

Rico

Hi guys
Thank you so much for your speedy replies.
OK, this is the prob I have:
No.1 once you flush, it only refills a quarter of the way and then stops, so I have to manually fill it by holding the blue ball down until full.
No.2 In order to flush again, I have to push sharply and quickly the flush handle .. 2 or 3 times?
Does this mean I have 2 faults.

Hi
Thanks all for your advice ..
Just a few more things, how do I know the size if attempting this myself. Would this be too complicated for a woman who's never attempted this before?
How much could I expect to pay a Plumber if I have to call one out?
Thank you all!
Eve

It would be easier to do the job if the instructions said flush the cistern first rather than having to empty all six litres with a sponge.

Tony

I use a bit of half inch hep/ hose and syphon it out, if the syphon is fooked!

Yes i would say it was a a bit of a fiddle if you were not used to plumbing.

Expect to pay a tenner for a syphon, an hours work (40 quid first hour where I am) plus VAT.

You may have two faults, or one may be causing the other.

First fix the problem with the water level.

The water comes in from the right, controlled by a valve with a float attached to it. The float is attached to the valve by a lever (the long white thing).

On top of the lever near where it pivots is a nut and bolt, or screw. Turning it adjusts the water level.

It probably won't turn unless you push the float all the way down. So hold the float down with one hand and turn the screw with the other. It needs to be undone - so the float rises further before it cuts off the water.

If you find you're turning it the wrong way, don't worry just turn it the other way. You may have to have a few goes at it before you get it right. Do make sure you can turn the water off though, just in case.

If, after all that it still won't flush properly, it will be time to either learn about syphons or get a plumber in.

Hopefully that will help, and I apologise if I've repeated anyone else's advice.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back