argos not letting me return product

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
i brought a vax cleaner from argos the other week. all was well but when using the vac it kept cutting out occasionally. i took it back today and had some snotty women on the returns desk that took it out the box and said her manager wouldnt give me a refund as it was working while she tested it there and then- she turned it on for 5 seconds then turned it off again. she said i would need to leave it with her while they tested it. i said ok, walked out the shop after leaving my details and walked back to my car. i checked my receipt in the car and relised that i only have till tomorrow until the 30 day refund policy is up.
i went back in the store and said i wasnt happy and that i would return it to another store. the lady advised that it had been moved downstairs and i would need to drive my car into the loading bay to pick it up. so i drove down and knocked to door where some kid got the box out. the vac had been chucked in the box in pieces, i told the youth that that wasnt how i left it and to get the woman down and repackage it now. he said it was out of order how she left it but that she wouldnt come back down.

I'm more annoyed over the customer service experience than anything. very rude staff etc.

whats the best thing to do - take it back to another store or kick off with the manager? anyone else had problems with them?

thanks

Sponsored Links
personally i would have asked to see the manager there and then not some snotty tart that works behind the counter.

this is what argos state.
so i can't really see any problem.

•If you bring it back to us within 30 days with your proof of purchase*, we'll give you a
replacement or a refund.
•If you've had the product for up to 1 year, we'll repair the product or, if that's not possible, give you a replacement or, if that's not possible, a refund.

I would phone Head Office first thing in the morning and complain about the poor level of service and attitudr of their staff.

Try this number and let us know how you got on. 01908 690333 :D

just out of curiosity is that a cylinder vax? ive got a vax mach1 and very occassionally it doesnt turn on or just cuts out. hasnt done it for a while now, so left it, got a 6yr warranty anyway....apparently.

Sponsored Links
Within 30 days

•Most things we sell are covered by our 30-day money-back guarantee, so just return them to us unused, in their original undamaged packaging, in a saleable condition, with your receipt and we’ll give you a refund.

The 30 day thing is of no consequence with faulty goods, as you will see from the above, (from their website) only applies to unused goods.

Have a look at this site for what rights you have.
http://www.consumerrightsexpert.co.uk/FaultyGoods.html

i checked my receipt in the car and relised that i only have till tomorrow until the 30 day refund policy is up.

They may have a new policy in place, stopping unscrupulous characters taking back f*cked hoovers, after they abuse them on a building site for a month. ? :idea:

Not putting you in that category, obviously... ;)

Just out of interest.... did you ask for a refund or a replacement...????

dbaplaya - You might find that, after Argos were featured on Watchdog tonight, they'll fall over themselves to give you what you want :D

That is what statutory rights mean. If the product is faulty or not fit for purpose you are entitled to return it. 30 days or not

Kick off with them. I once returned a faulty mobile phone after a week. They wanted to send it away for repair. " What am I supposed to do without a phone?" says I, (I was self employed at the time). Stood my ground and got a new replacement phone. I have local Trading Standards on my phone, I think they go under another name now,but I still get through on that number. Comes in handy when you're up against some snotty assistant or uppity manager who thinks us punters still live in the dark ages. Like the twit in Comet who wanted to charge me a hundred quid to have one of the keys replaced on a week old lap-top. One call, in his presence to TS soon wiped the smug grin off his face.

dbaplaya - You might find that, after Argos were featured on Watchdog tonight, they'll fall over themselves to give you what you want :D

And while you're at it pop into KWIK FIT for a free brake check and just say to the 'mechanic',
"Hey, was that you on the telly last night?" :LOL:

Your laptop has a key? Why would ts get involved with that? They don't decide on price of services... unless your saying it was comets fault you needed a new key?

One of the alpha-numeric keys. Obviously it came loose/fell out and needed the laptop taking apart to replace/repair. After one week it would still be under guarantee.

One of the alpha-numeric keys. Obviously it came loose/fell out and needed the laptop taking apart to replace/repair. After one week it would still be under guarantee.
...that falls under statutory rights. You have to understand though that they are allowed time to investigate. Also the person behind the counter is almost never the person with the authority to make these decisions.
Phone calls, emails and letters are a lot better than jumping up and down at the counter.

Statutory rights are only any good if you are fully aware of them. Yes one of the letter keys came off in normal use and the wife returned it to the store where she was informed that it was not covered by the warranty and that it would have to be sent away for repair at a cost of £100. No mention of time to investigate. I returned with the laptop when I came in from work and was given the same spiel. I then calmly rang Trading Standards and explained the situation
and my rights were explained to me with the manager present. I even asked him if he wanted to talk to the TS guy but he declined. No jumping up and down at the counter required. Returned dodgy laptop and payed extra for a Toshiba which is still in use today.

Sponsored Links
Back