Argos outside security light

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I replaced my outdoor security light with a black lantern security light with a built in pir - I wired it up as the instructions said and how the old light was wired up - it comes from a single light switch in my entrance to my house, I turned that on and the light come on and went out - installed during the day , but at night the light comes on and go offs but continually keeps doing it and got so fed up with it I turned the wall switch off
Anyone have any idea why its doing this - i have tried adjusting the sensor switch but makes no difference
many thnaks for all help

Sponsored Links
Did you adjust the time setting
They sometimes are supplied set low on the "T" test setting

It looks out towards our front hedge that never moves in the wind its so tight
When I installed it I adjusted the time setting to the shortest I could - could I have adjusted it to the test setting then

Sponsored Links
I may have misunderstood

Did you mean once you trigger it it the ON time is too short, which is how I read it.
Associated with the timer too low which you say your aware of

OR

as I think TTC read it
The thing is going on and off without you triggering it,
False activation is usually associated with a poor quality fitting or as he said external influences like, flues, steam , animals trees etc

Could be a number of things causing the frequency of the switching.
Cats are very good at setting them off, as are the flue gasses from the boiler, which has been pointed out by TTC.
You can shade the lens, to create blind spots.

people walking past on the pavement on the other side of the hedge?

I think you need a walk test. Maybe point it downwards more towards your path.

The lantern pir sensor can not be moved about and it is no where near moving objects or boilers
I have adjusted the sensor and timer switches on it but still does the same
It comes on and then it goes off but it keeps doing this when nothing is in it's vision
It comes from a single wall switch near the front door
In the back of the light there was 4 terminals but I only had 3 wires

I cant take it back as we threw the box out
Can anyone tell me what the 4th terminal on the light is for ?

I cant take it back as we threw the box out
Can anyone tell me what the 4th terminal on the light is for ?

Will need a link to the instructions for that. It could be a switched output to control another light.

It could be that it requires a double live. Some of them do.

It could be that it is already being used in the product.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back