ariston genus 27 producing brown hot water

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

Moved into house with fairly new (4 year old) Ariston genus 27 combi boiler. Last few months started getting brown, slightly malodourous, water out of the hot water taps, particularly in upstair bathroom. Plumber came and said it was probably the anode corroded. Lo and behold, he pulled out a rusty anode. I wasn`t there but my wife commented that it looked like it had broken up a bit.

He said a replacement anode was not necessary as he was certain the tank was stainless steel and therefore would not corrode. He actually tried to put one in anyway but couldn`t get access as the boiler was positioned too close to the ceiling.

2 weeks later, we still get brown water from our hot water taps!

I have two questions...

1) Is it possible that a bit of the rusty anode has broken off into the tank, and if so do we need to (or can you even) get the piece out? Or should we just let it dissolve of its own accord.

2) Was he right about this boiler type not needing an anode? I mean, if it didn`t need one in the first place, why did it have one in??!

Cheers for any help,

Amygdala

Sponsored Links
I'm not an ariston expert but I've never heard of a combi having an anode! Perhaps someone else can correct me.

Anodes are usually present on older hot water cylinders.

Is this a storage combi? although I don't think it is.

Either I'm totally wrong or you've been fobbed off. I hope it is me in this instance :oops:

It seems to mention it in the installation instructions on one of the diagrams. It points to a magnesium anode within the direct hot water storage.

Its an ariston genus 27 plus .

Amygdala

I can only find reference to the genus plus which is a hot water cylinder. I therefore think it is me who is wrong as it sounds like a storage combi.

If plumber cannot exchange for ne anode then it sounds as if the boiler may not have been fitted to M I's in relation to clearances!

Sponsored Links
If its been designed in by the manufacturers then one can only deem it is necessary :eek:

Thats what I thought...but he was fairly adamant about it.

I dont know your installer from adam :rolleyes: Therefore I would suggest you call Ariston tech help Monday for a second opinion ;)

Unlike myself and others on here, some less scrupulous fitters pretend that they know everything in front of customers who they think know nothing :rolleyes:

sacrificial anode :!: Sorry, no use to you but I was just thinking were I heard it last, in college I recall. Heady Days :rolleyes:

Old megaflos as well.

Oh ****! I forgot your answers are betters than mine :LOL:

The glass lined steel Ariston unvented cylinders use anodes!

They last about 2-3 years in most areas but should be checked on the annual services.

Tony

Yes it needs an anode. Even some stainless steel cylinders have them.
If a new one won't fit, can you cut the end off and fit a shorter one - it'll still work, but not for as long.

If you don't fit one you would expect to get corrosion around the connections.

Try draining/flushing the cylinder to clear the brown water out.
If you have iron water pipes it could be coming from those though.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back