ariston genus 27 producing brown hot water

Rusting might be caused by a failure of the diaphragm in the hot water expansion vessel. The water would then get to the metal casing and corrode it. The expansion vessels (both CH and DHW) on these boilers are very poor quality and can be expected to fail after a few years. They can be replaced with generic external expansion vessels, which will be cheaper, better quality and easier to inspect and change in the future.

Sponsored Links
Above query answered on Screwfix forum.

YES it needs the anode despite what your man says.

Yes, strognly suspect the EC (white) is knacked.

Connection point for the aforementioned vessel is incorrect. This was pointed out to Ariston who denied this until I phoned them subsequently to be told what I had pointed to them previously.

So if I get the guy to put an anode in, and change the expansion vessels the problem will be solved?!!!

Perhaps it would be less hassle to just get another combiboiler!! I`ve got underfloor heating and don`t want it to cock up that either.

but are you sure you want the same (perhaps incompetent) guy back again :eek:

Sponsored Links
Good point. Although he is ariston approved! Maybe that says more about ariston.

I very much doubt he is Ariston aproved if he is giving you wrong information. He has not even identified the problem in the first place.

Changing the expansion vessel will ONLY be a temperory relief; it will fail again if modification is not carried out.

If you think a new boiler will fix all your troubles, dream on. Current plastic wonders may be very efficient but reliable and cheap to repair they are not.

Post where you stay. A regular from this forum might come to your aid. Some regulars on these pages are in contact with other, so a successful repair can be carried out without spinning a yarn (like you do not need an anode)

DP said:
Changing the expansion vessel will ONLY be a temperory relief; it will fail again if modification is not carried out.
DP, could you be more specific? Does this refer to the EV being connected to the wrong pipe (e.g., the hot out rather than cold in?)?

I live just outside perth in scotland. I emailed ariston and they did confirm an anode was required.

I would also be interested to know what you mean exactly by the expansion vessel being wrongly connected.

Chris, you have hit the nail square on the head......

So when the expansion water enters the EV it may be hotter than the diaphragm can withstand, hence early failure. All the more reason for retro-fitting an external Ev connected to the cold inlet side.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back