Ariston Genus/ sealed system pressure question...

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi.

I've just let some more water into the CH system through my Ariston genus 27 to get the pressure up and let trapped air out of the system. Most of the instructions say a bar of 1-1.5 is ideal. Mine sits (when cold) at 1.2 roughly but when I crank up the system it raises up to about 3.3. I never looked at the bar until I had this recent problem so am basically seeing if this is normal? I expected the pressure to rise for the obvious reasons but am a bit concerned as 3.3 is over the red marker.

Can someone put my mind at rest? At the mo I'm scampering down to the kitchen everytime the thermostat kicks in!!!

Thanks,

Dean.

Sponsored Links
Groan...

Did I do something wrong? I filled up slowly as advised, taps turned both securely off??? Have I def knackered the pressure valve?

If the pressure is rising so high, then its your expansion vessel, it may need recharging, or failing that, fit an external expansion vessel. it should be charged to about 0.7 bar.

Sponsored Links
OK. I've seen the instructions on the faq. Is this something that is quite easy to do yourself or would you def recommend getting a pro in? I'm trying to save money as have post xmas skintness plus just had to pay 80 quid for a new passport!

Any thing I should be extra careful about during the proceedure?

FYI: the bar gauge doesn't 'shoot up' (as in the faq), it slowly rises over 20-30 mins as the system heats up. Does this make any difference to the diagnosis?

No _ I'll review the faq.
If it rises more than the normal half bar or so when it heats up - however long that takes, it's because there's nowhere for the water to expand to.

You can also get a pressure rise when the pump starts, depending on the position of the connections in a particular boiler model.

All you need to do the job is a bicycle pump and a pressure gauge. With my "high volume" (slightly fatter than normal) bike pump a couple of dozen pumps puts the pressure a bit too high. Then every time you use the separate gauge the pressure drops a little, so stop at 12 psi or so.

Do it with a drain cock or similar, open, as you need to be able to push water out as you pump it up.

just had to pay 80 quid for a new passport!
I'm only a plumber so I can't afford to go abroad.
violin.gif

Thanks Chris. Advice mucho appreciated. Going to have a look tonight and see if I feel comfortable doing this. Any idea what the proceedure should cost if I decide to go pro?

One last thing: I had just topped up the system to bring the pressure up/get rid of loads of air from my radiators. I'm guessing that I topped up too fast or took the pressure too high (I think I took it up to about 1.3) and that's what led to this current prob? Just so I don't make the same mistake again...

I'll talk to my girlfriend and see if she'll let you have her place on our flight to Peru. Can't have you knee deep in pipes and no holidays.

1.3 bar is fine

should only cost a callout, plus a prv

How about you drop out of the trip to Peru and I go with your girlfiend?

Otherwise, steer clear of the "swimming pool" = sewer at Aguas Calientes (everyone seems to get ill), and make sure you go up Huayna Picchu. ;)

Can you just clarify a few points re your faq Chris?

4.3) Press the central pin. If whter comes out, you need a new pressure vessel.

So the whole pressure vessel will have to be replaced? Yikes. Water knackers the valve so if you press and it hisses with air, I take it you stop quickly incase the water is just below!!?

4.6) During this phase it is imperative that the water or air is allowed to escape from the heating system as it's pumped from the vessel...

Does this mean basically that you need to leave the drain cock open during this whole part of the proceedure? Or is it better to keep it closed then do the pump drain pump drain thing until pressure is correct?

It looks like I re-pressurised the system OK so maybe this was a problem that was already lurking/building up.

I'll talk to Cath re Peru. She's very cute and has rich family innPeru so you should be looked after.

Plumbing & travel advice! Is there anything you can't do??

4.3) Press the central pin. If whter comes out, you need a new pressure vessel.

So the whole pressure vessel will have to be replaced? Yikes. Water knackers the valve so if you press and it hisses with air, I take it you stop quickly incase the water is just below!!?

There's rubber diaphragm separating the water from the air. If it splits or leaks, the air will just dissolve quite quickly in the water. If you do need a new one, it can often be placed externally.

4.6) During this phase it is imperative that the water or air is allowed to escape from the heating system as it's pumped from the vessel...

Does this mean basically that you need to leave the drain cock open during this whole part of the proceedure? Or is it better to keep it closed then do the pump drain pump drain thing until pressure is correct?

Either. Depends whether the drain tap/cock loses loads of water.

It looks like I re-pressurised the system OK so maybe this was a problem that was already lurking/building up.
Probably, it's common

I'll talk to Cath re Peru. She's very cute and has rich family innPeru so you should be looked after.
Plumbing & travel advice! Is there anything you can't do??

Podria manejar la lengua, pero no soy seguro, que yo entretendria una muchacha joven :cry: .

Ahhhh! That makes perfect sense (the diaphragm)

Are you mixing your french with your spanish??

Thanks for all your help Chris. May attempt this tonight if I can find the tools.

Ok, so I stumble at the first step.

Found the expansion vessel and the valve. Pressed the pin and air hissed out with... a little mist of water. Pessed again and more air.

Can a little liquid form in there or is the diagphragm def shot?

Am not going to try anything else tonight just in case.

if u translate de = the
so deanus =the anus ?
anus with a genus

if its rising so high mate, its deffo your EV, you do need a new one, and our company charges callout, plus the PRV and EV of course. so you shouldnt expect to pay any more that £200 man. It takes lterally an hour to change one if that.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back