Ariston Micro Genus Problem

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Ariston Micro Genus, 12 yo, Works fine so long as the demand is constant, works fine for up to about a 10 min (more or less) gap in demand but any more than that it goes to warning light. Recovery is simple: off/on once or more usually twice.

Any ideas?

Under contract with national company who have over various visits, cleaned the pump, replaced the pump, quoted for a magnabooster (filter) and now a powerclean+magnabooster. A lot of money and I need to be sure before spending it. Should note that after last visit where they said all they did was manually turn the pump, the boiler worked perfectly for two weeks, but now back to the above problem.

FYI ... Have tried numerous permutations of on-demand/off-demand, wait 5 mins/ 10 mins / 15 mins ... etc etc to try and prove it. Plus the site visits and new pump as noted in the question.

Sponsored Links
Does it go to this warning light on its own?

Or only when it tries to start?

You dont make it clear about a new pump! Sounds as if yours may be sludged up.

I wonder why people always expect their system is not sludged up ?

Tony

Thanks for your reply.

"Does it go to this warning light on its own? Or only when it tries to start?"

For the tests I have run, when I start it 'cold' after 10/15 mins being powered off, it will go to warning light immediately, without demand. Turning it off+on one or sometimes two times is enough to spark it into life.

Also, when I leave it powered on but without demand for 10/15 mins, the warning light does not come until the demand is started. Again, turning it off+on one or sometimes two times is enough to spark it into life.

So the answer is (1) only when powered up after 10/15 min period and (2) only when it is already powered on and demand is started after 10/15 min period.

"You don't make it clear about a new pump! Sounds as if yours may be sludged up."

Thought I was, sorry. Its now a new pump but made no difference.

"I wonder why people always expect their system is not sludged up ?"

The pump clean and pump replacement meant the water in the system was drained and replaced twice in a week, if that has any bearing. I am not adverse to accepting the system is sludged up. That being the case then the powerclean+filter may well be worth the money.

Looking for sage advice from experienced hands to tell me if that is likely from the symptoms described.

Sponsored Links
If the national company want anymore than about £180 supply and fit magnaclene get a private plumber they will be cheaper. If the national company want anymore than £350 to powerflush with a magnafilter then again a private company wont charge much more than that. I certainly wouldn't and I live in Surrey.

Well an ignition lockout has absolutely nothing to do with the pump, sludge or circulation issues. As usual you've got a bunch of idiots working on the boiler.

The most common cause is an incorrect ignition burner pressure or the pcb.

Look through the sight glass. With a demand check the electrodes are sparking and once the burner has lit they stop sparking.

What does it do (or not do) when it locks out?

In this case Geoff, I think its another item which I am pleased to say you did not mention.

He has said it goes to the red after cooling for 15 min and not when refiring.

No, I am not going to say what I think it is as it needs a gas reg engineer to deal with it.

And of course its nothing to do with sludge ( in this instance ).

Getting past the impasse of course can be more difficult for a lay person.

However, if you lived close and I came and repaired it for my £122 then in my view you would have a good chance of reclaiming that cost from your insurance provider on the basis that they had totally wrongly diagnosed the problem!

"Or did they?" Of course part of their employment is related to bringing in more business which means more charges to the customers! So perhaps their business manager would be very pleased with the good job they are doing. If they get you to agree to receive a quote for a new boiler then the engineer even gets a cash bonus!

Tony

"He has said it goes to the red after cooling for 15 min and not when refiring."

No, that's not what I was trying to say. Sorry!

If left for 15 mins with no demand, and then I put thro demand (turn on heating), then it goes to red.

Switch off/on (once or maybe twice) and hey presto we are back in action.

Equally, if boiler completely powered down for 15 mins and then turned on, it will go straight to red warning light.

Hope that clarifies.

OK, sorry I had misunderstood that. So it fails to start and immediately goes to the red without going through any procedure.

If that case, whilst what I had in mind may still be the case, it can also be some of the other possibilities.

As all are gas/combustion related they are beyond any DIY repair.

Still nothing to do with sludge!

Tony

Just realised that I referred to the wrong warning light above. Sorry!

It is "J- Low system water level" (not F).

THAT IS A LIFE CHANGING DIFFERENCE!

Obviously the LPS needs to be removed and probably just clean the communication drillings in the manifold and the switch!

Tony

The "low pressure light" is a safety device to protect the boiler if there is insufficient water flowrate through the primary heat exchanger.

However, this is a Microgenus Series I so there is no low pressure sensor but a differential pressure switch.

Problems can be caused by weak pump, blocked pump impeller, blocked pipework, blocked pipework connections, blocked heat exchangers, blocked drillings in the diverter to the differential diaphragm, weak/perforated diaphragm, poorly aligned reed switch in the diff assembly, etc etc.

Unfortuanately on this boiler the shuttle that operates the reed switch on the side of the assembly can't be seen so it's not an easy fault to fix.

Lots of "blocked" in there. Does that mean the powerclean may well make the difference?

And does that fit with the warning light only coming on once the demand is restarted after a 10/15 mins period of no demand, and then only sparking back into life when the unit is switched off and back on (most often only once)?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back