Ariston MicroGenus Boiler behaving like a spoilt child..HELP

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
OK - here's what is happening.

There is no hot water or central heating; when I re-start the boiler the green light shows, the fan goes on and then the amber light shows persistently - basically the boiler doesn't ignite.

I had an engineer down and he diagnosed a faulty gas-valve (which I then replaced); unfortunately this didn't sort things out ergo he stripped the entire system, cleaned the fan, unit-tested it and put it all back together. It still didn't work which mystified him...

I contacted Ariston who diagnosed a faulty Air-pressure switch but my engineer said that he checked it and it was fine. The Ariston guy had also suggested that moisture may have seeped into a plug-socket (?) or that a tube may be split or damaged. My engineer said that he hadn't checked this...

Any thoughts on what might be going wrong please?

Sponsored Links
It would've seemed an Air Pressure Switch fault to me. I would personally clean the fan (to ensure a sufficient pressure differential was created to operate the APS) and clean the Venturi at the same time on the fan.

However, do you hear sparking at the burner?

As it wasn't the gas valve the person you had round shouldn't charge. Let him take it out and put yours back. If he won't refund at least he should swap back so you can sell the new gas valve on ebay.

Then you need someone who knows what they are doing.

Are you competent to change gas valves?

Usually if a gas engineer diagnoses a fault then he is given the job of fitting the appropriate part and if it turnd out not to have been a correct diagnosis then he should come and correctly diagnose the fault or refund his charges.

You should not have to pay for a part which is not required! There are new laws next week about ripping people off!

But then I dont expect you should have changed the gas valve either!

Tony

Sponsored Links
Hi All
just to let you now that when the boiler gets over three years old you should that out the ariston warrantee. about £8 per month as they go wrong and become very costly.

If you have have problems of it shuting down after seven seconds you should firstly drain and refill twice to clean out any problems with slog, and then bleed correctly try to let the pump work as well bey turning on and off.
Check the air pressure switch and air pipes as any faults will lay there, if you blow through with finger at holding at end! Do the same with the switch!

Put Your meter the terminals and blow throw it! any change of voltage???

Fit it back, to boiler and check again!

or change the switch! only £23.00...

Or change the hole the boiler to a better make as they are friendly to your wallet..

hope this helps you.

motx

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back