Armoured cable spur

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We've just had 16mm SWA cable run to my wife's garden studio and I am about to build a 3x5m shed next to it. Can I spur-off the existing SWA to my shed?

Sponsored Links
Is the shed close to the studio? or is it close to the cable but some distance from the studio? what is the wiring in the studio like?

If the shed is close to the studio you are probablly better leaving the underground cable run alone and feeding the shed from the studio in some manner (exactly how will depend on what is in the studio).

If it is nessacery to join SWA underground, then the normal way to do it is with resin-filled joint kits. This is something I wouldn't particularly reccomend to DIYers though, as if you screw it up it won't be easy to fix.

If the branch cable is smaller than the main cable you also need to ensure it is adequately protected.

I would suggest looking for an electrician with experience in commercial/industrial work.

Sponsored Links
As Plugwash says - don't break into the 16mm2 SWA. Run the new shed cable from the mains in the studio.

to what is the studio cable terminated? sockets, a small cu? pics will help
We went for 16mm as it’s a nail salon. I installed a ring for the sockets and a radial for the lights, all signed off, no fires, pops or fizzes! The shed will have lights and sockets, prob a fridge for fishing bait in the summer but nothing heavy.

Perhaps taking a feed from the CU would be best as we have multiple free banks, we’ve only used 4 out of 15 or so in the CU.

Attachments

• E097A31B-A6C9-4697-A110-D07206F3A85A.jpeg
    E097A31B-A6C9-4697-A110-D07206F3A85A.jpeg
    62.7 KB · Views: 66
  • FC255C37-70D1-4E75-A180-5A2B2D405AC8.jpeg
    FC255C37-70D1-4E75-A180-5A2B2D405AC8.jpeg
    151.9 KB · Views: 69
Yeah, assuming the shed is close to the studio, feeding it off a breaker in the studio CU seems the most sensible approach.

That's a switch not an MCB. Possibly you have fuses in the carrier to the left of it.

The nail salon could be fed from henley block and it's own tails so that 100a switch is what supplies the salon direct from whatever the main cutout fuse is.

The nail salon could be fed from henley block and it's own tails so that 100a switch is what supplies the salon direct from whatever the main cutout fuse is.

That would be wrong if that were what was installed, the DNO will not allow their fuse to ptotect a private submain.

But what you have pictured is a SPN switchfuse, what size fuse is fitted?

I'm hoping the Danson consumer unit has a 63A Danson "consumer unit" <<<< 88 type 2 I think

Whats the ZS/ZDb inside the Salon consumer unit? (should be on the Test results the installer has hopefully supplied you)

Last edited:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back