Armoured Cable

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi Guys

I am looking to run power to my summerhouse at the bottom of the garden.

I will be getting a sparky to connect up to the house and to wire the summerhouse ... however I am about to put the path in, and want to bury the armoured cable beneath this.

So I need to buy armoured cabling.

My requirement is to run a fridge/freezer, air hockey table, computer, at least two fans, maybe an lcd, various light and power plugs as well as heaters in winter.

Which armoured cable should I get? Should I run two circuits down (one plugs, one lights) ?

I would appreciate help, as I see tons of different armoured cables, all with different mm rating, and need to buy the correct one.

Also, is it okay to run the cable next to the water line (I should think so, but might as well ask?

Probably 60-70ft to summerhouse ...

Thanks

Ky

Sponsored Links
What size and type of heaters are you going to be using? How far is the length of cable? Run one large submain down to a new fuseboard in the summer house, but the spark will know about this. I would say you'd probabily be best off with a 16mm 3 core armoured on a 60A switch fuse tho.

Hi flyingsparks

Thanks for the reply .. Im guessing 60/70ft from junction box to summerhouse ..

Heaters not really thought about it ... i guess either the fan heaters or oil rads ?

So 16mm is about right ? Is there capacity with this size, or does it kinda only cover my current requirement ?

Thanks

Ky

When you say from junction box, do you mean the house fuseboard/meter position? This is where the armoured cable will need to run back to. 16mm will be more than adequate for your requirements and a lot more. When you bury the cable make sure it is at least 18inches deep and with a layer of sand in the bottom of the trench and again on top the cable before back filling. Also use bury warning tape. Take photos of this so the sparky will be happy to sign off the installation.

Sponsored Links
Thanks flyingsparks ..

Now ... I don't suppose you are in the eppping/essex area .. looking for a sparky

Ky

Find your electrician first - as long as all you are doing is digging the trench and laying in the cable then he ought to have no problem with this, but he must make that decision, and he must decide where the cable goes, how much he wants sticking out at each end to work with etc.

Basically he has to be the person in charge of this work, as he has to sign an official declaration to say that he did it. If you just spring an installed cable on him, then even with photos he might not want to sign it off. He'd connect it up, test it and probably certify it from an electrical POV, but if he won't sign it off from a Building Regulations one you'll be stuffed...

Excellent (and logic plan)

Will do - thanks for your input

If you are in a hurry to get the trench filled and your path laid, then why not just install a 3" black plastic duct with a draw rope in it (and warning tape etc), then your electrician will be able install whatever cable he wants.

rf lighting has got it to a tee , dont lay nothing except a duct with draw string then the "sparky " cant blame you if it goes boobies up.

70metres of 16mm2 SWA.

I'd get that delivered :)

Took delivery of 500m of 35mm2 4-core XLPE yesterday, and all i can say is Blimey.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back