artex ceiling

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My bathroom ceiling is thick and looks like icing on a cake. Whats the best way to cover it guys. HELP

Sponsored Links
My bathroom is the same.

The easiest way is to get a good plasterer to smooth over it. Tell him you want it flat as if he were skimming standard plasterboard and see what he says.

Covering artex is very difficult to do well. It can be done however, you just need someone who is very experienced.

The plasterer will need you or someone (or himself) to chip away at the really big staligtites before he starts. Wear a face mask while you do this in case your artex contains asbestos - DO NOT TRY AND SAND IT DOWN - if it contains asbestos...........

The other way is to use a steam wallpaper stripper and a scraper. Horrible to do but it is the chheapest method. condensed water will run down your arm, wear goggles. If you leave the steam tray on the ceiling too long you'll wreck your ceiling.

Last way is to use a product call xTex. £15 for a small tub,, £90 for a large tub. Paint it on, leave for (see instructions) and then just scrape off. It's like Nitromoores, but for artex and safer to dispose of.

I have also read (on this forum I think) that you can mix up wallpaper adhesive, and use that instead of xTex.

//www.diynot.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=76166&highlight=artex+binliner

It worked for him...

I think the basic theme here is that artex is water based, so if you apply a paste that has lots of water in it, and give the water time to soak into the artex, then it should come off with a scraper.

Let us know how you get on....

I've just doubled boarded a number of rooms in a shop I've just bought. The only problem with plaster is that when you come to the coving at the edge you lose the depth due to the artex. If you do plaster then PVA the ceiling in advance. Good luck

Sponsored Links
Bathroom ceiling is a mess!
3 things wrong are:
The most recent layer of paint has started to flake. I can pick large flakes off, but what is the quickest way to remove it?
Mould in the nooks and crannies of the artex. I can get rid of it by scrubbing, but it reappears fairly quickly.
I tried some of that smooth over stuff, but could not get it to stick well and gave up. So now about a third of the ceiling has some of that covering it.
Would one of those jet steam things take the layer of paint away (steam bee, I think it's called)?
What's the cause of a layer of paint not taking to a previous one?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back