Artex or multi-finish?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Sorry guys,as a beginner I know we can plaster ceilings (I have done), but why are we not using artex. I have never done this. Can you successfully obliterate the old artex, is it put on the same way? ie use a PVA coat first?

Sponsored Links
Sorry guys,as a beginner I know we can plaster ceilings (I have done), but why are we not using artex. I have never done this. Can you successfully obliterate the old artex, is it put on the same way? ie use a PVA coat first?

Artex is out of fashion, that's all.

Builders loved it because it was quicker and cheaper than plastering, and you didn't have to paint it before selling the unit.

By obliterate do you mean cover over the old artex with finish (covered exensively if you search) or cover it with new artex?

The latter would not work, or at least I can't see it working unless the original was a very flat artex

Artex can be put on with roller, we put on with trowel and use a 18" square stipple - a bit like a hawk with a load of rubber bristles on it that you bang and twist on the ceiling ( for want of better description!!) It has a long handle so you just walk around the room ,and pull a brush on celing lines/around fittings etc. Various other finishes, with sponges, spatulatas, brushes, rollers etc.

You used to have to mix it warm and let it stand and re mix it IIRC but now cold mix - haven't dome any for maybe going on ten years -but skimmed over rplenty!!

Thanks for that. Yes, when I said successfully obliterate I did mean using artex, over the old. I take it you dont have to use a stipple or other finish, can it not just be flattened out with a trowel just like when plastering for a flat finish?

Sponsored Links
Artex is old fashioned & awful stuff &, as Micilin says, invented solely to allow tight a rsed builders to save on the cost of plastering; coving isn’t much more fashionable now either. :LOL:

If you want a nice flat finished ceiling, get it skimmed.

i hate artex with apassion and want to meet the guy who invented it so i can kick him in the nuts.as for a flat finish i agree with everyone else plaster plaster plaster how deep is the artex you have to cover and how hard is it

Thanks for all that guys, and no I won't be using artex. I'll stick to a good flat ceiling with plaster!! After a bonding coat of course!

i hate artex with apassion and want to meet the guy who invented it so i can kick him in the nuts.as for a flat finish i agree with everyone else plaster plaster plaster how deep is the artex you have to cover and how hard is it

I think the guy who invented it should be given a medal for services to plastering.

We got paid to artex the ceilings, and now we get paid to cover them up .

Genius!

All we need now is for the DIY programmes to bring it back in to fashiion and we can get paid to artex over the flat ceilings we've been paid for!

Seriously though, couldn't have it in my house.

I don`t know who he is but it was made in Newhaven Sussex. :idea: Look for Artex avenue on Google Maps :eek: BN9 9DD

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back