Article 4 conservation and windows

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
If living in a article 4 conservation area is it permissible to replace old upvc windows installed prior to conservation listing with new upvc windows or will I be forced to replace the old upvc with wood.

Sponsored Links
Depends on your conservation office and the wording of the Article 4 direction.

Normally you must get planning permission to replace windows & doors to the front elevation only. Rear and side might not need permission but do check before you go ahead

I have a conservation area near me where they insist on timber windows and the planning application must have every section, cill, bead etc dimensioned to the millimetre to match existing before they will approve, others have allowed upvc.

Speak to your conservation office or look at the council website for other planning applications in your area to see what else has been approved recently

It will make no difference when your existing windows were installed, you will still have to follow the current rules for any replacements

Cheers

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back