Asbestos dust in garage?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, I have recently bought a house that has a free-standing garage with a corrugated asbestos roof. I’ve noticed that the concrete floor in the garage is very dusty, but am reluctant to sweep this because of concerns that this might be asbestos dust. The asbestos panels themselves are in good condition with no visible signs of damage. Am I worrying unduly or would it be a good idea to get the roof ‘sealed’? Thanks for any advice.

Sponsored Links
You are worrying unduly. Asbestos cement is the safest type of asbestos there is and the dust is unlikely to have come from the roof sheets if they are in good condition.

I put blue building poly sheeting held with battens screwed to the roof rafters to stop this dust.

Sponsored Links
Asbestos fibres are much lighter than the grains of cement on the floor and will disperse with no risk to you.

However if the dust is significant, then you can paint the underside with a gloss paint, or it may be a sign that the sheets are at their life end and should be replaced

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back