Asbestos Flue

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

We had our boiler replaced last week. When the boss of the company came round to give us a price, he said that the existing flue was probably asbestos cement - apparently not a problem as they would remove it carefully and were licensed to transport it.

I went up in the loft after they had 'finished' the job and found that the top of the old flue had been snapped/smashed off level with the joists and dumped up there (plus the rest of the flue has been left in situ). There are fragments of (presumably asbestos) cement on the loft insulation near to where it had been broken, and also some fragments have dropped down the old pipe into the kitchen (new boiler has gone into the airing cupboard).

I'm just looking for some advice about what I should do about it? I'm worried that the loft, landing and kitchen are now potentially contaminated. Obviously I'm pretty angry as I could have done a much safer job if I'd done it myself!

Many thanks

Sponsored Links
I would suggest that you contact the boss and ask him why he did not keep to his word, and tell him you intend to cantact your local environmental office at the council. Have you paid him yet???.

spraggo

I would suggest that you contact the boss and ask him why he did not keep to his word, and tell him you intend to cantact your local environmental office at the council. Have you paid him yet???.

spraggo

Hi Spraggo,

Thanks very much for your reply. Good idea about involving the council. I haven't paid them yet, not even a deposit. I'll speak to the boss on Monday.
I'm just wondering what would be a safe 'fix' for the situation? I don't want them making the problem worse by spreading more fibres around. What would you insist on? Maybe I should speak to the council first and see what they advise?

Many thanks

spraggo

Hi Spraggo,

Thanks very much for your reply. Good idea about involving the council. I haven't paid them yet, not even a deposit. I'll speak to the boss on Monday.
I'm just wondering what would be a safe 'fix' for the situation? I don't want them making the problem worse by spreading more fibres around. What would you insist on? Maybe I should speak to the council first and see what they advise?

Many thanks

I am sure the environmental chap will give the correct advice. As you have not paid yet it would be wise to get the council involved before you contact the boss.

spraggo

Sponsored Links
Speak with the firm first,maybe who ever holds the licence wasn't available,there might be a genuine reason and they may well clean everything to the correct standards.

You've not paid yet nor been asked to,running straight to the council will make you look like you've had work done with no intention of paying,following spraggo's advice will certainly sour the relationship between you and your installer.

First call Monday should be to the installer,in fact ring them now.if they aren't obliging then contact the council.don't be a customer from hel.

Speak with the firm first,hel.

I would agree if the firm had still got some of their equipment on site and the boss had informed the OP that he would be returning to finish the job. Or had given the OP some indication of when the registered guy would be calling to make sure that the OP was at home. Moreover, I did not suggest that the OP could use this issue to get out of paying for the job and indeed, he has not mentioned anything to suggest he would.

spraggo.

I'm not saying that the op will/won't pay,all I'm saying is that if I'd been employed by a customer and there was an issue I'd much feather be the first to know before the council/gsr/environentsl health/solicitors etc.

It's easier to get things resolved by remaining on good terms, not speaking and going straight to the council will make the relationship awkward resulting in any future problems creating difficulty in them being resolved.

Good advise from LCGS above you never know u might need them too sort a warenty issuse out for your boiler 18 months from now!
Give them the oppertunity to sort it!
You havent mention anything else your not happy with so it only a phone call.
good luck

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back