Asbestos (AIB)?

@Brigadier - I live in North Dorset - I do not have confidence or knowhow to do it myself.

My other concern is I recently had the door open drying out the carpet Infront of the door and wood including airing cupboard due to a dehumidifier leaking for a period of time went unnoticed. I had used a hair drier! There are slight chips on the edge where undoubtedly it's been knocked in the past as it's floor level.

I've only just become aware of asbestos boards of sorts, my awareness and ignorance was artex, that corrugated roofing etc.

I'm proper stressed as is my wife by it all.

Sponsored Links

At least one of the labs from the above has some checks and balances against it.

Best having them attend; the sampling will be less error-prone, safer, and the person attending can get a better idea of how to best manage your issue (from "nail the door shut!", to full removal and completion inspections and tests).

Last edited:
The company I contacted, send the samples to a UKAS accredited laboratory.

I just need to wait until the new year to arrange an onsite visit.

I'm proper stressed as is my wife by it all.
This stress will cause you more harm than the asbestos risk.
Not to make light of it, but an Australian study (I can't find UK figures at the mo), suggests there are between 10 and 200 asbestos fibres per cubic meter of background air.
(Edit: European report C2000, 100 - 1000F/m³ in urban areas)

Meaning Australians may be breathing in 5000 fibres a day - I don't think that knowledge stops them from going outside.

Close the door and tape the gaps with gaffer tape.

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
Click on the above link.

Click Browse by category.

Click Inspection Bodies.

Click Asbestos.

Apologies for not making that clear to start with.

An (asbestos) inspection body will come out, and inspect for asbestos.
An (asbestos) testing body will test for asbestos, but might not come out to get a sample.

Some will hold Inspection and Testing accreditation. In which case, all good!

Call whoever you choose, but insist on them attending.
In that regard, inspection body is a safer starting bet.

The company I contacted, send the samples to a UKAS accredited laboratory.

I just need to wait until the new year to arrange an onsite visit.

Legally, samples have to be analysed (tested), for asbestos anyway, by a UKAS-accredited organisation.
There is no such requirement for those taking the samples to be similarly-accredited.

Likelihood it may be Asbestos, treat as such until proved otherwise. However, bear in mind, asbestos is a naturally occuring mineral, as is still mined in some parts of the world, despite the dangers, due to it's properties.

Asbestos in many forms remains present everywhere, and is in the main, perfectly safe unless disturbed. In my view, it is highly unlikely the small amount you have present there is causing any clear or present danger, just ensure if it comes back as Asbestos being present, it is removed and disposed of correctly.

Everyone I know of who has contracted an Asbestos related illness has spent considerable time being exposed to it, before the dangers were realised.

I'm hopeful I have a little glimmer of hope.

I removed the kitchen panel to have a look from the bottom up towards the first floor.

I don't think there ever was a air heater system, rather the flue seemed to serve an old gas fire only. This also makes sense as I cannot locate any old vents or plasterboard filling in old vents.

The flue also to me looked to newer to be dated late 70's when the house was built.

Assumption per photo the kite mark means the flue and heat tiles were put in (cut around) on or after the kite year 1993 when asbestos was well known and at least blue and brown was banned?

Attachments

• PXL_20221229_211734698.jpg
    PXL_20221229_211734698.jpg
    350.9 KB · Views: 57
  • Screenshot_20221229-213057~2.png
    Screenshot_20221229-213057~2.png
    987.3 KB · Views: 57
Keep us posted on the analysis results
That's the plan - called a few places today (licenced samplers) albeit no answer to know if they would serve the area I live as none under 1hours drive.

I'm a little less stressed now, knowing it was not a boiler flue and two the kite mark dated in a safer time zone closer the the outright ban ~1999.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back